Tyre wear

ggaz78
ggaz78 Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

I`m new to cycling and got a Claude Butler Criterium to test the water, I do 35 miles a week but after 6 weeks my tyres are totally shot(worn through to the tube) is this common such short tyre life? And what would be a good alternative tyre.

Cheers

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The tyre can't be worn through to the tube.

The construction of the tyre is of a woven fabric carcass covered with rubber. This woven carcass is responsible for the strength and structure of the tyre and as such prevents the inner tube from bursting. If you wear through the carcass then the inner tube will burst.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    DesWeller wrote:
    The tyre can't be worn through to the tube.

The construction of the tyre is of a woven fabric carcass covered with rubber. This woven carcass is responsible for the strength and structure of the tyre and as such prevents the inner tube from bursting. If you wear through the carcass then the inner tube will burst.

What he said.

As for tyre recommendations, I'm not the best to ask, but I would say that the roads you're riding on should influence your choice; no need to use the heaviest bulletproof rubber if you seldom run into anything nasty (etc) or never puncture. Look into Continental, Michelin, Schwalbe, Panaracer and others. The size of tyre you want (unless it's 700x23-25) will also limit your choices.

But your experience isn't 'normal', except that I'm not surprised that a new bike came with rubbish tyres.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Take it back the tyres are defective. You should get 1000s of miles, not 200.

Unless - do you still pull skids ?
  • ggaz78
    ggaz78 Posts: 3
    Believe me my time for pulling skids passed long ago, the tube did pop whilst I was cycling and the tyre has a hole right through. Only good thing was I was only 1.5 miles from home :).

I will take them back to the shop.

Cheers everyone