UCI WorldTour Ranking - 2012 (Post TDF)

DeadCalm
DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Wiggins now miles ahead of J-Rod in second.

GB third behind Spain and Italy.

Sky the top team above Liquigas and Katusha.

Six Brits have scored points. Does that mean that GB will only have 6 riders in the Worlds assuming all remains the same?

http://www.uciprotour.com/templates/BUI ... k&LangId=1

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    No, GB will get the full compliment of riders at the worlds now.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • DeadCalm
    No, GB will get the full compliment of riders at the worlds now.

Thanks but why? I remember the scramble last year to get enough different riders to score points and they still only ended up with 8 riders as opposed to the full 9. Do the top x nations get the full complement irrespective?
    Cheers.
  • inkyfingers
    I'm pretty sure you have to have you at least 5 riders scoring UCI points, then it's down to the total number of points as to whether you get 9 riders.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • DeadCalm
    Just stumbled across this link which seems to suggest that (if the rules are the same as last year) GB will only have 6 riders unless some different riders can score points between now and the cut-off period.

http://road.cc/content/news/40283-uci-w ... mpionships
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Lower ranks not count? Think pro-conti etc.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • inkyfingers
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Just stumbled across this link which seems to suggest that (if the rules are the same as last year) GB will only have 6 riders unless some different riders can score points between now and the cut-off period.

http://road.cc/content/news/40283-uci-w ... mpionships

I thought I understood it, but link has well and truly confused me.
  • DeadCalm
    UCI announces team sizes for World Champs: Australia, Belgium, France, GB, Italy, Netherlands, Spain & USA get 9 riders for men's road race. Czech, Germany, Slovenia and get 7 riders, 6 for Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Switzerland and Ukraine. And decreasing sizes for other nations.
    Source: Inner Ring
    Now I'm confused.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Why are you confused?

Because the Dutch still get 9 riders?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    On a side note, how exciting is it going to be to see JTL in the World Champs jersey! 8)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    On a side note, how exciting is it going to be to see JTL in the World Champs jersey! 8)

I reckon he'll do well to make the GB team.
  • inkyfingers
    Told Ya.

Will be interesting to see Team GB's tactics for this year. Would they ride for Froome if he's got anything left in the tank after the Vuelta? To my knowledge he's never done anything in a one day race though.

Millar?
    JTL?
  • rick_chasey
    Told Ya.

Will be interesting to see Team GB's tactics for this year. Would they ride for Froome if he's got anything left in the tank after the Vuelta? To my knowledge he's never done anything in a one day race though.

Millar?
    JTL?

How far away is the Cauberg from the finish?
  • andyp
    1.5 kms I think.

It'll come down to a sprint from a select group.
  • inkyfingers
    Told Ya.

Millar?
    JTL?

How far away is the Cauberg from the finish?

No idea, haven't seen the route. All I know is that it's "hilly".
  • Told Ya.

Millar?
    JTL?

Been thinking about this one. Has JTL ever ridden a one-dayer anywhere near this distance? Also against this level of competition? I know he beat Voeckler, Gilbert etc but that was right at the beginning of the season.

*awaits blast from Leicester Lad*
  • inkyfingers
    Told Ya.

Millar?
    JTL?

Been thinking about this one. Has JTL ever ridden a one-dayer anywhere near this distance? Also against this level of competition? I know he beat Voeckler, Gilbert etc but that was right at the beginning of the season.

He's got no previous at all. Tour de Haut Var doesn't compare.

However, Team GB don't have any established hilly classics riders and the ones who could be considered may not be in form when the Worlds come around so it's wide open as to who they'd pick. If JTL goes well in the ToB then he may do enough to be given a chance.

The only other possible might be Ben Swift, he's doing the Vuelta and can climb reasonably well for a sprinter. He said himself that he would like to become a Friere type rider, but as of now he's never done anything in a long one dayer either.
  • rick_chasey
    01_parcours_heren_elite.jpg
    Is the route into the circuit.

I can't get the image of the circuit up but if you go here, click on the pic and scroll through, you'll get it.

http://www.limburg2012.nl/section.php?s ... arcoursen#
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    DeadCalm wrote:
    UCI announces team sizes for World Champs: Australia, Belgium, France, GB, Italy, Netherlands, Spain & USA get 9 riders for men's road race. Czech, Germany, Slovenia and get 7 riders, 6 for Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Switzerland and Ukraine. And decreasing sizes for other nations.
    Now I'm confused.

I'm confused too. According to the UCI's own rules:
    "The 10 first countries in UCI WorldTour classification by nation on 15 August 2012: each country may enter 14 riders, with 9 to start. However, a nation with fewer than 9 riders classified in the individual UCI WorldTour ranking on 15 August 2012 shall start the number of riders that are classified"
    GB has 7 riders scoring points in the WT, so should have 7 starters, not 9.

:? UCI and knowledge of it's own rules? :?

It doesn't really matter, because I can't really see a single GB rider featuring really. A small group sprint in an Amstel Gold/LBL style race, 250-odd km. And even if someone like Froome or Millar would somehow pull out a surprise performance, other GB riders wouldn't really be expected to do much work along the way.
    Who was the last British rider to well in Amstel Gold/LBL/Lombardia?
  • rick_chasey
    It seems to be an old style Amstel gold - with a flat finish.
  • andyp
    FJS wrote:
    "The 10 first countries in UCI WorldTour classification by nation on 15 August 2012: each country may enter 14 riders, with 9 to start. However, a nation with fewer than 9 riders classified in the individual UCI WorldTour ranking on 15 August 2012 shall start the number of riders that are classified"

:? UCI and knowledge of it's own rules? :?

It doesn't really matter, because I can't really see a single GB rider featuring really. A small group sprint in an Amstel Gold/LBL style race, 250-odd km. And even if someone like Froome or Millar would somehow pull out a surprise performance, other GB riders wouldn't really be expected to do much work along the way.

There is still time to score WT points to add to the numbers, but as it stands GB will be able to field 7 riders (although doesn't the country with the reigning champion get an additional spot - Spain definitely did a few years ago?).

Swift or Thomas, assuming he's racing, would be the best British hopes, but they would only have an outside chance of a medal.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Told Ya.

Millar?
    JTL?

He's got no previous at all. Tour de Haut Var doesn't compare.

However, Team GB don't have any established hilly classics riders and the ones who could be considered may not be in form when the Worlds come around so it's wide open as to who they'd pick. If JTL goes well in the ToB then he may do enough to be given a chance.

The only other possible might be Ben Swift, he's doing the Vuelta and can climb reasonably well for a sprinter. He said himself that he would like to become a Friere type rider, but as of now he's never done anything in a long one dayer either.

Basically what he said ^

JTL is an unknown entity at that level, if he rode it would make for interesting viewing. I have it on pretty much absolute certain authority that he's riding for Sky next year, which upsets me a little.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    andyp wrote:
    There is still time to score WT points to add to the numbers, but as it stands GB will be able to field 7 riders (although doesn't the country with the reigning champion get an additional spot - Spain definitely did a few years ago?).
    The deadline for individual scores was 15 August too.
    The regulations say the reigning champion gets a ride if his country doesn't qualify at all.
    http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... c&LangId=1
    andyp wrote:
    Swift or Thomas, assuming he's racing, would be the best British hopes, but they would only have an outside chance of a medal.
    Perhaps. My guess is it might be too hilly for Swift, and probably Thomas too if he's still in lardy track mode.
    Even if JTL is the right type of rider, what experience does he have riding at that level, and over 250 km? It's not the Tour Med.
  • DeadCalm
    FJS wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Now I'm confused.

This was my understanding too. I'd actually thought it was going to be six but Adam Blythe seems to have snuck some points from somewhere since I last looked.
    FJS wrote:
    Fair point but the pedant in me needs to have this resolved.