Froome's Tourettes

thomthom
thomthom Posts: 3,574
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Does he have to look down every third second? Up, down, up, down, up, down... It's doing my head in. Anyone else noticed this? It really shouldn't be an issue for me but it's so annoying once you notice it, haha.

Comments

• Jambes de Fer
    Jambes de Fer Posts: 21
    edited July 2012
    Doesn't he have a mountain bike background? Ex-MTBs tend to be in the habit of looking at the ground a lot.
  • thomthom
    I'm desperately trying to find a video with Chris to prove my point. I'm fairly sure it has nothing to with looking at the ground. Just an awkward style.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    ThomThom wrote:
    Does he have to look down every third second? Up, down, up, down, up, down... It's doing my head in. Anyone else noticed this? It really shouldn't be an issue for me but it's so annoying once you notice it, haha.

Bit rough on him calling it Tourettes, don't you think? Just because (allegedly) he looks up and down and you don't like it?

It is an inherited neuropsychiatric disorder with onset in childhood, characterized by multiple physical (motor) tics and at least one vocal (phonic) tic.

Sorry, but I don't find that "funny".
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Nothing to do with Tourettes at all, however he's definitely the Paula Radcliffe of Cycling.... got the nodding head thing going on.. :) Especially in the Mountains.
  • thomthom
    Of course it has nothing to do with Tourettes.

Lighten up, Lichtblick.
  • Lichtblick
    ThomThom wrote:

Lighten up, Lichtblick.

It was a "joke"?

This young man has just come 2nd in the Tour de France, and won a stage, AND he's done the Giro, AND he's done the Vuelta, AND he's about to do the Olympics road race, AND he's about to do this year's Vuelta, none of which you could even dream of doing, AND he's had to put up with a lot of media shite about him and Brad, AND another load of media sniggering about his private life, and then he has twits on messageboards "joking" that he has Tourettes because he allegedly moves his head about when confronted with a camera at the end of the hardest athletic competition on earth.

Some joke, eh? Which you then try to wriggle out of by trying to tell me to lighten up. Yeah, right.

You might like to read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Froome and stop making cheap jokes about a superb cyclist.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Lichtblick wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Lighten up, Lichtblick.

It was a "joke"?

This young man has just come 2nd in the Tour de France, and won a stage, AND he's done the Giro, AND he's done the Vuelta, AND he's about to do the Olympics road race, AND he's about to do this year's Vuelta, none of which you could even dream of doing, AND he's had to put up with a lot of media shite about him and Brad, AND another load of media sniggering about his private life, and then he has twits on messageboards "joking" that he has Tourettes because he allegedly moves his head about when confronted with a camera at the end of the hardest athletic competition on earth.

Some joke, eh? Which you then try to wriggle out of by trying to tell me to lighten up. Yeah, right.

You might like to read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Froome and stop making cheap jokes about a superb cyclist.
    You know this is the internet, and you are campaigning for politeness and good behaviour??
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    woah its the internet.
    It seems pretty obvious it was intended lightheartedly, why the full on freak out?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    mattshrops wrote:
    woah its the internet.
    It seems pretty obvious it was intended lightheartedly, why the full on freak out?
    Probably Michelle Cound's account.
  • Lichtblick
    mattshrops wrote:
    woah its the internet.

Because
    it
    was
    not
    funny.

ok?
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    It didnt make me laugh but i managed not to do an impression of angry from aldershot

ok?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Lichtblick = Velocestrapture???
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    I'm sorry but I'm with Lichtblick here. When I was growing up the terminology would have been spastic or flid, both thankfully no longer in common usage. And why does something so offensive become ok just because it's the internet?
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Bloody hell, can we not just celebrate him coming second in a Tour.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think it's ok if he has Tourettes, in my book. I'm fine with it. I don't think you can catch it from a toilet seat.

Maybe he needs to do some neck exercises or put his stem up a notch. It's a wonder he doesn't crash as it is fairly pronounced. Just a habit he picked up maybe?? Who knows, it's all part of life's rich tapestry and makes Froomey, Froomey.

Also, I got a bounce in my walking step so I can't say sh*t. Yes, I am admitting to not being perfect. :cry:

Jerry

PS- Time Trialist are a nightmare for this habit also. We had an accident on a Dual Carriageway on an Open TT and a some other rider went in to the back of the Ambulance as he couldn't keep his head up to see. TT riders are the Mr Magoo of the cycling world.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • thomthom
    nathancom wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Lighten up, Lichtblick.
    nathancom wrote:
    It was a "joke"?

I'm in tears here! How on earth is that something to be upset about.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Peter Sagan made the best comment about 'Tour-ettes' if anyone saw it......
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I thInk he's generally just a bit awkward. He's all over the place on the bike - not the worst I've ever seen but he's all elbows and knees when you see him from the front.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I didn't know Froome had a mtb background, but looking down at the BB or Cassette is not an mtb trait, at least, not for long.

All mtb'ers soon learn to look up the trail as far as you can see, glance to the front wheel, then back up the trail.

Smooth wide tarmac may be making him fall asleep though. ;-)
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    He doesn't like to make eye contact when he's talking about how Wiggins was the strongest rider and how he's happy playing a support role - I wonder why? ;)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    k-dog wrote:
    I thInk he's generally just a bit awkward. He's all over the place on the bike - not the worst I've ever seen but he's all elbows and knees when you see him from the front.
    Hear hear. Worst riding style ever - it's all legs, elbows, knees. He even makes Hesjedal look like Gianni Bugno.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Does he actually have tourettes then?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,102
    I remember Charly Mottet - he did look like a 'frog on a matchbox' which is ironically, what the French call le Rost Biffs when on a bike. Hands in the middle of the handlebars adjacent to the stem whilst climbing and never seemingly in a rythym - always kicking out of the saddle every so often.

I wonder if they will come up with some other expression now Wiggo has won?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thomthom
    edited July 2012
    Tom BB wrote:
    Does he actually have tourettes then?

Of course not. Just had to give the thread a decent title. And boy it was. Look how many views it's had. I'm a genius.
  • thomthom
    Alright, I've tried to prove my point in a video but believe or not I can't really find any proper ones. I did find this, though. I can't see it since I'm not living in Wiggins-land so I'm not too sure if it's any good, but try, when they hit the climb, to look after what I mentioned in the OP.

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=320645
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    k-dog wrote:
    Hear hear. Worst riding style ever - it's all legs, elbows, knees. He even makes Hesjedal look like Gianni Bugno.

Have you never seen Chris Anker Sorenson or Dan Martin riding then?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Pross wrote:
    k-dog wrote:

Have you never seen Chris Anker Sorenson or Dan Martin riding then?

Santiago Botero.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I could live with that -- he doesn't dope but he has tourettes.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Is it only Tourettes when in France? Will he have Vueltaettes next month?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Pross wrote:
    Is it only Tourettes when in France? Will he have Vueltaettes next month?

I see what you did there. :lol:
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition