Filled-in helmets

trekvet
trekvet Posts: 223
edited July 2012 in Pro race
What is it with these filled-in helmets? I see Wiggo had one, Cav had one even in a sprint. Today some in the Sky had one, others didn't, so it nothing to do with flat or hill stages. How does the fresh air get in?
The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.

Comments

• TrekVet wrote:
    What is it with these filled-in helmets? I see Wiggo had one, Cav had one even in a sprint. Today some in the Sky had one, others didn't, so it nothing to do with flat or hill stages. How does the fresh air get in?

I haven't seen one up close but it looks like a fine netting rather then filled in from the TV.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    It looks ridiculous. It really does.
  • It's to be a tiny bit more aero, particularly for the very high speed guys (was it 5 watts of power it was supposed to save Cav at sprinting speed). Think I first saw cav sporting one at the worlds, I'm pretty sure I saw a Lotto rider with one today. I'm suprised more people aren't doing it yet what with the success Sky's technical obsession is having.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    It's to be more aero, but why just fill in the gaps, why not make the helmet smooth, surely it would be more aerodynamic?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Think I first saw cav sporting one at the worlds...

Where have you been?

000_APP2000102673754.jpg