hammerschmidt service

santabruz
santabruz Posts: 40
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
can anyone please tell me if there is a service centre in the uk for sram, or does anyone know of any places/shops that can service/repair hammerschmidt cranks,
my hammerschmidt has developed a little fault so i am hoping it can be repaired as i dont really want to be shelling out for a new one, thanks in advance guys, :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What has happened?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Fishers run the U.K service centre. Any shop with a fishers account can send it there. A a individual you maybe able to. You will have to call them to find out. I suppose depending on the problem a shop maybe able to fix.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • santabruz
    Fishers run the U.K service centre. Any shop with a fishers account can send it there. A a individual you maybe able to. You will have to call them to find out. I suppose depending on the problem a shop maybe able to fix.

i just got an email from them, they do service them,,, but dont do public they trade only, so have to visit a few local shops to see who deals with them.
  • santabruz
    nicklouse wrote:
    What has happened?

some stupid mechanics imcompetance thats what, grrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

have had the crank for 3 years now,its on my knolly dt, thats mainly used as my whistler play bike, so though it's 3 years old, has only really seen 17 weeks use, ( thats whistler use though)
    anyways, may last year, i bought a new frame when we were in whistler. (2011 delirium) i had it for 5 days then it had to go back to the manufacturer as it was faulty, in the end, after many tripd back and forth to the shop. (on my 2 week holiday) i had to leave my bike with the shop in whistler all summer and when i went back for 3 weeks in the september was supposed to return to a nice new shiney warranty replacment frame. only shitter was they had no frames in stcok to give me.
    i return to whistler in the septmeber to be offerd a second hand ex demonstarter which i politly declined. i took my old frame over with me, and asked them if they could rebuild my old bike, the shop got very arsey with me, insisting that i should take this demo frame, i was like there is no way i am paying full retial price for a second hand frame, i bought and paid for a new bike,
    they werent even offering me any deals or cash back or anything. so after roughly 20 mins of heated discussion, ( me being very carful not to loose it, trying to be calm and civil) they fiannly agreed to rebuild my old bike.
    obviously they were pretty miffed, as they had stuck all my parts on this ex demo frame, despite me emailing them on 5 occaisions telling them i would not accept this frame, and that i wanted my old bike rebuilding when i arrived i would pop in with my old frame,
    so when they rebuilt it they must have done it in anger.
    i went back to whistler for 2 weeks last month, after a few days i could feel somthing loose on my bike, it took me about 4 days to find it. the back plate on the hammerschmidt was loose, and the crank it's self has developed about 3mm of side to side play. i took the crank back to the shop that rebuilt my bike, as this is the same shop that i bought the schmidt from back in may 09. they just looked at it and told me that it's a common fault on hammerschmidts and there is nothing that can be done to fix it.

at the weekend i decided to take the crank off and see if i could strip it down and see whats wrong, as i remove the backplate i find the cause of the problem. the numpty that rebuilt my frame has overtightend one of the 4mm bolts and stripped the thread off the alloy iscg05 tab. :shock:
    obviously this meant the backplate wouldnt fit securly, and came loose causing the play, the vibrations must have gone through into the internal part of the crank and caused somthing to wear out prematurly. my guess is the bearing inside the crank.
    the whole bit that the chainring atatches to is loose, it wobbles from side to side by about 3mm.
    i dont have the tool to pull the thing apart, and i dont really want to be forking out 140 quid for it, when i could get a new crank for that,
    so now thanks to this stupid imcompetant prat mechanic i have to get a new iscg05tab and new drivetrain, as the rear mech has broke as well due to the excessive shake from the crank. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Shaking on the crank can't possibly have ruined your rear mech.
  • nicklouse
    So let me get this right. The thread in the frame is stripped. And secondly you have some pay somewhere?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I gave up after the first row of not so smiley faces.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • santabruz
    nicklouse wrote:
    So let me get this right. The thread in the frame is stripped. And secondly you have some pay somewhere?
    yes.....
    the iscg05 tab on the frame, (09 knolly dt) is removeable/replaceable.
    the thread on the bottom left hole of the tab, has been stripped. so the backplate of the hammerschmidt wouldnt tighten up, the shop have also managed to round off 2 of the 4mm allen bolts that hold the backplate on, so they cant be tightend up either. so as i have been riding the back plate was loose, this has caused somthing inside the hammerschmidt to wear or come loose so now the bit that holds the chainring on moves by about 3mm from side to side, i am wondering if it's the internal bearing thats worn,
  • santabruz

it semms to have somehow..... the vibration from the crank was quite bad when riding in the bikepark, and the chain movement was quite excessive to, this seems to have caused the mech to wear out, it's where the 5m bolt is that secures the mech to the mech hanger, the bolt is tight but the mech moves slightly,and doesnt shift properly. it only started doing it about halfway through the holiday, up until that point it had worked fine.
  • santabruz
    my uncle has managed to fix the iscg tab,,, he's put a helicoil thread thing in it, and i am gonna see if i can send the schmidt off for a service/repair. winstanlys in wigan say they can do them, and it's not to far from me so i think i will try them,
  • nicklouse
    santabruz wrote:

it semms to have somehow..... the vibration from the crank was quite bad when riding in the bikepark, and the chain movement was quite excessive to, this seems to have caused the mech to wear out, it's where the 5m bolt is that secures the mech to the mech hanger, the bolt is tight but the mech moves slightly,and doesnt shift properly. it only started doing it about halfway through the holiday, up until that point it had worked fine.
    There is bugger all in the shmit that would cause that.

Are you sure the bb has not gone on the drive side?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    santabruz wrote:

Nope, it's an impossibility.
    Sounds like the mech has just worn out through trail vibration / general use.
  • santabruz
    santabruz wrote:

Nope, it's an impossibility.
    Sounds like the mech has just worn out through trail vibration / general use.
    i suppose it could be,,,, it was working fine at the start of the trip, then as i noticed the rattling getting worse, the shifting started to go crappy, then i noticed the mech had play init too. it was as though the mech had come loose, but the 5mm bolt that holds it on was tight.
    there is no damage or signs of impact or rock strikes or anything, so i assumed it was all related to the monement from the crank.
    my thinking was if the crank has side to side play in it, then this would make the chain move more to, putting more stress on the mech causing it to wear.
  • santabruz
    nicklouse wrote:
    santabruz wrote:

bb is fine,,, there's no play in the actual crank arms and the crank spins smooth, , it's just the bit of the schmit that holds the chainring on. i have never taken one apart before, so have no idea what they look like or what the internals are like. all i have to go off are the pics in the online service thing on srams website. and looking at them to me it looks like the only thing that could possibly wear would be the big ring cage bearing thing,
    i will drop it off at winstanlys in the next few days to see what they think about it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    santabruz wrote:
    my thinking was if the crank has side to side play in it, then this would make the chain move more to, putting more stress on the mech causing it to wear.
    No.
  • nicklouse
    santabruz wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    santabruz wrote:

bb is fine,,, there's no play in the actual crank arms and the crank spins smooth, , it's just the bit of the schmit that holds the chainring on. i have never taken one apart before, so have no idea what they look like or what the internals are like. all i have to go off are the pics in the online service thing on srams website. and looking at them to me it looks like the only thing that could possibly wear would be the big ring cage bearing thing,
    i will drop it off at winstanlys in the next few days to see what they think about it.
    Then take the crank off and check the chain ring is fitted correctly.

viewtopic.php?f=40033&t=12800403&p=17764040#p17764040

There is not much to them.

The chain ring is just held in place by a split ring.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Er, what relevance is that link, Nick?
  • nicklouse
    As he can't be arsed to use the self extracting bolt to see what is actually going on it kinda shows there is nothing to be worried about.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You're, er... You're aware you linked to a post about amputee cyclists, right?
    That's pretty high concept.
  • santabruz
    i have taken off everything that i can with out having the tool to take it apart completely.
    i have removed the bash ring,crank arm, and the chainring, the bit the chainring fits to is the bit thats got the play in it,,,
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/truvativ ... nglish.pdf

on page 18,,,,, part 13 is the part thats rattling loose on my crank, it moves roughly 3 mm, this isnt normal is it,,,, thats why i am thinking the bearing inside part 13 could have gone, i will hopefully get chance tomoz to drop it off at winstanleys to see if it's repairable,
  • santabruz
    http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files ... _rev_a.pdf

in this link... page 10.... scroll down, look at the bit TRANSMISSION - HAMMERSCHMIDT - ALL MOUNT AIN & FREE RIDE part 8 over drive assembley,,,,, the inner bit that the chainring sits on, this is the bit that is shaking on my schmidt. like i said it has roughly 3mm of play in it,,, this isnt normal is it,,, i dont recall seeing it before, i will have to check the hammerschmidt on my over bike to see if it also moves. i am pretty sure though it doesnt.