How many more rides do I have to use for skills sharpening !

twonks
twonks Posts: 352
edited July 2012 in MTB general
More of a slight rant I suppose, as I'm getting fed up of having to pedal through boggy muddy slippy sections of local trail - when they should be solid dry fast singletrack at this time of year.

Through winter of course it is expected and used to good effect to sharpen reactions and fitness, but the same ride after ride in the summer is damn annoying.

Anybody else getting fed up with local trails being more like bogs and wheel suckers :?:

On a lighter note, at least it wasn't raining today :P

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No idea what your title has to do with your rant, but you ride the conditions. Obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    My point was that rides in difficult sloppy conditions are often referred to as character and skills sharpening opportunities.

And this summer there has been that many opportunities that it's getting tiresome now.

Edit. And thanks for your state the obvious condescending reply.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I know what you mean, and it is annoying, but that's life I guess....
    Went down one of the local trails last weekend and it was probably slippier than I'd ridden it all winter, madness!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I thought every ride was to sharpen skills and build character? Wet or dry if it isn't fun and challenging what's the point.

Stop whining and giv'er! Mind you to throw in my own complaint, its almost too hot to ride here during the summer and if I follow anyone I keep choking on all the dust their wheels kick up. :lol:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • erinmills
    erinmills Posts: 12
    more rides.
    Take every ride as a Challenge
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Make the most of the mud. Get loose & enjoy the drift.
    I have more fun in muddy conditions than in dusty conditions.
  • Yeah I know what you mean, went for a ride earlier this week and it was so boggy in the wooded areas, you could barely get through some of it!

But off to the Alps is two weeks, so that should be nice and dusty :)
    Specialized Hardrock 06
    On One 456 Summer Season 2010 neon orange!

“…get it in your head, then there’s nothing else important for the next couple of hours than getting that particular line done…” – Danny MacAskill
  • composite
    composite Posts: 29
    Is riding through it more annoying than not riding at all?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    if you were to become a roadie you wouldn't have this problem :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Variety is good (spice of life as they say). Now it's drying out all that churned up crud makes for interesting stuff when dry (big exposed roots for example).

Skills - riding crud is fine for learning riding crud. Different ball game to riding smooth dry dusty summer trails though, the main benefit of it still being cruddy is you are used to riding crud. No more.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've not ridden an MTB on my local trails since May, can't be bothered. Will go out Monday now it's dried a bit though.

Been very pleasant on the road!