1x10 Gearing Upgrade

Dan-Coll
Dan-Coll Posts: 40
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I was just after some advice, im looking at switching to 1x10 but not quite sure the best way to go about it. Im currently running:
Chainset:
Shimano M532, 2 piece design, 9-speed, Replaceable rings with alloy outer
Chainrings:
22/32/44 Tooth Chainrings 4mm thick outer, 4 bolt 104/64mm
Cassette:
Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 11-34 Tooth Range
Shifters:
SRAM X-5, 9-speed, Trigger
Which parts would i need to upgrade and what to? Thanks for any help

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    All of it except the cranks. Not worth doing for the cost.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dan-Coll
    Thats what i was thinking, could you point in the right direction for a good set up? I have set myself a £200 limit for it, im just a little confused about which brand/model to go for.
    Cheers
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    It can be done for a little over £130. Using X5 shifter and rear mech, Superstar chainguide, Blackspire chain rings and Shimano cassette and chain.

Or what you could do is switch to a 12-36 9 speed cassette and just fit a Superstar chain guide to your current middle chainring and that'll give you similar climbing range to a 1x10 conversion
  • Dan-Coll
    Im guessing its always best to get the best shifter and mech you can since those are the mechanical moving parts?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If your current drive train is worn out and you need to buy a new cassette and chain and maybe a chainring or two then it could be worth it but if there is nothing wrong with what you've got I'd wait until you wear the current set out or rip a mech off.

Basically for a 1x10 setup you need the cassette, chain mech and shifter pod and whatever size chainring you feel like using. You may also need a chainguide if your chain line is a bit odd but as I understand it a shadow plus mech may negate the need - havent tried one myself.

I run a 2x9 setup with a chain guide and find it a good compromise. I will treat myself to 1x10 probably in due course though, definitely on the hardtail when I finally get it back.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Dan-Coll
    Yeah my current set is starting to reach the end of its life hence the upgrade. Plus i like the simplistic approach of running a single ring up front since i rarely use the other 2.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    You may also need a chainguide if your chain line is a bit odd but as I understand it a shadow plus mech may negate the need - havent tried one myself.

A Shadow Plus rear mech will help for XC/Trail use, but I'd still mount an upper cage design guide.

Dan-coil.

I'd go for the best mech and shifter I could afford to. Cheaper cassettes and chain are a little heavier, sometimes don't look as pretty when new but shift perfectly fine. I'd look at something like a SLX Shadow Plus rear mech, Deore trigger shifter, cassette and chain. Then whatever sized chainring you fancied
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    A quick look around shows that you could do it for about £110, inc. chainguide and decent bits (XT-shifter, SLX cassette and chain, and Deore mech). I'd prioritise the shifter over everything else: SLX is good but clunky, XT is smooth but maybe a little indistinct. SRAM bits would add to the cost if you had to have them.
  • Dan-Coll
    If i could afford it is SRAM the prefered option i have been looking at the X9's and seem to be in my budget
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I would look out for an XT m770 3x10 groupset(I got mine for £300 last year) and then flog the front mech, shifter and chainrings to recoup some cost. Then buy a single ring specific chainring and superstar top guide
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not just go 1x9, 1x10 only adds half a gear to the spread versus 11-34.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's half a gear?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    as in the fact that the gap between gears on an mtb is just over 10%, 34 (largest on a 9) to 36 (largest on a 10) is just over 5%, so half a gear......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.