is this a good price for this framw?

cammyb96
cammyb96 Posts: 107
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am new to DH and need a cheap frame as I am not loaded. I spotted this frame and wondered if it was any good for a beginner?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=85654

edit:
I found a really nice frame going really cheap but I don't wanna have competition on buying this frame so I aint gonna post a link. I want to ask if its worth buying a bargain frame?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Nope.

It is a short travel XC frame and there is no shock with it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cammyb96
    cammyb96 Posts: 107
    I am new to DH and need a frame that is good, I saw this GT Marathon Carbon going at around £70-100, is this a good buy?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Do you know what DH is?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cammyb96 wrote:
    I am new to DH and need a frame that is good, I saw this GT Marathon Carbon going at around £70-100, is this a good buy?
    Not for DH, no. Not even close.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    This is an XC bike, meant for long rides with lots of climbing -
    gt-marathon-carbon-team-2009.jpg

This is a DH bike, meant for pushing / uplifting to the top of a very big hill/mountain, then riding down, only down:
    GT_Fury_Worldcup.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For £70?! Besides the fact that it is totally unsuitable, it will be broken or stolen at that price.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I stand by my first comment to you.

Learn the basic skills of riding first, and learn the basics of mountain bikes.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cammyb96 wrote:
    I am new to DH and need a cheap frame as I am not loaded. I spotted this frame and wondered if it was any good for a beginner?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=85654

edit:
    I found a really nice frame going really cheap but I don't wanna have competition on buying this frame so I aint gonna post a link. I want to ask if its worth buying a bargain frame?

Yeah, buy it. Or maybe don't.
    Or think about what you posted.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Is this not just the exact same thread you already have going on where everyone has told you the exact same thing.

Which is strikingly similar to another thread you started where people quite clearly told you what is and is not a DH bike.

You still seem to be struggling with this concept of what is and is not a DH bike, despite being provided with pretty pictures to illustrate.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Methinks he thinks trail centre descents = "downhill". Gotta love those people you see in full face lids pushing downhill bikes round Llandegla, the most tame trail centre on the planet.
    Get a trail bike for learning to ride on. Then progress to downhill once you actually know what it is.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    Or go to some local DH races and see what they are using and see if there are any people selling any bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    Topics merged.