Gears for hills

Graeme Jones
Graeme Jones Posts: 361
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I am planning a ride out this week to Bala in Wales and there is a fair bit of climbing over the 35 miles 3000 ft of elevation in total. The mileage is no issue although only 2 months in but it's 3times more elevation to climb comparing to my normal rides over the same distance.
After reading a review on my bike (Giant Defy 3) it mentioned the 12/25 compact wasn't grate for climbs? I haven't found the 300-400 ft hills too much of a cadence challenge but concerned that I may get there and maybe a different situation? Any advice welcome.
As I will have to throw the bike in the car it means I have the convenience of taking all the food and water I need for afterward.

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    12/27 would probably be better. Just the 2 lower gears are different so it will not affect the rest of your riding. I have never liked the 12/25 as with the 12/27 the wider gaps come just where you need them, on the lowest gears.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    John.T wrote:
    12/27 would probably be better. Just the 2 lower gears are different so it will not affect the rest of your riding. I have never liked the 12/25 as with the 12/27 the wider gaps come just where you need them, on the lowest gears.

+1... I would note that you can mount a 33 tooth front chainring(TA Specialties). It may not sound like much but even one tooth can make the job just a little bit easier. Also, if you have a 10 speed I believe you can buy an 11-28 or 12-28 tooth rear cog and this should work with your rear D. Here again it's ONLY one tooth but every little bit counts.
  • Graeme Jones
    Graeme Jones Posts: 361
    I will look in to it. If the rear cassette is swooped will I loose top end as I don't want to loose anything as when descending I often max out at near 40 mph
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I will look in to it. If the rear cassette is swooped will I loose top end as I don't want to loose anything as when descending I often max out at near 40 mph

I wouldn't worry about downhill speed. I find that a nice tuck position and a bit of pedaling(I have a 50-12) can get me going fast enough on most hills to scare myself.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You will just be swapping the 23 and 25 for 24 and 27. You should only be using these on the small ring anyway so nothing is lost. 12 to 21 stay the same. 11/28 loses you the 16 which is a lot more useful sprocket than an 11.