My first 50

charlie_potatoes
charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Back from my first 50 miler :)
52.5 miles in 3hrs 7mins average 16.7mph.
Would have been better but I really struggled through the last 10 :oops:
Had a big bowl of cereal before I left an took 2 bananas and 1.5 litres of High5 fluid.
I reckon I needed another banana and another bottle?

Anyway I made it and am on schedule for the Essex 100km in September.

Well earned power nap for me now :wink:
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

Comments

• Sounds great!

I'm working my way up to a 50 miler!! :)
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Bekim
    Bekim Posts: 1
    Ambrosia Cream Rice. I have been eating this (yes the whole tin) about 1 hour before long rides (50+) for several years. Tastes good with a few rasins and sets you up for the day. Also I try and take some flapjack/maltloaf cut into bite size pieces for on-board refueling.
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    Well done, feels great doesn't it. Although I do think you have consumed and drank more than enough for a 50 miler, sometimes you can eat too much, which can also affect you adversely.

It really is down to personal preference, even though I always take 2 bottles, I only normally consume 1 on a 50 miler (such as yesterday) and a banana.

Congratulations and good luck for your 100
  • Thanks for the comments Guys.
    I'll try the Ambrosia next time as I remember loving it as a kid. :lol:

Looking back I think I set off too fast which might be why I really struggled at the end.
    My first 10 mile was at 18mph which I would have been really pleased with over a 10/15 mile midweek run.
    I felt really strong having rested for 2 days after putting in some mid week hill work.
    Lesson learned me thinks :oops:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    snap... just done my first 50 today, 54m in 3h 07, I also struggled abit last 10miles, legs were getting tired and probably running low of carbs in the muscles. had my first carb gel too and it wasnt very pleasant! good going and keep up the good work!