War of the Wags

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Just to disrupt the tranquility of the Sky Team bus and to add to my theory that women/wags and cycling (men's) don't mix-

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 62586.html

-Jerry

Ps- An old bike rider I knew said that you get you should get a women for the winter and the dump her in the Spring. I love the older guys. ;)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    For someone who is a sports photographer, I am surprised she does not get what the job description of a domestique is.

Is this really a issue within team sky, or are the press and us fans making more of it than there is?

Oh, according to the Mirror, Cath Wiggins is going to strip - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... ey-1153019
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    One of the reasons I have grown to despise football is the associated sideshow drivel that accompanies it these days. I really hope cycling doesn't dig itself into the same hole by starting all this nonsense. I am no fan of the Sky empire but I am delighted to see Wiggins win for the UK. Although the increased interest in cycling will hopefully be a positive thing I would hate to see it become a just another source of media gossip. How typical of the British media to take something positive and undermine it by trying to manufacture a feud between two team mates before the title has even been won officially.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Crescent wrote:
    One of the reasons I have grown to despise football is the associated sideshow drivel that accompanies it these days. I really hope cycling doesn't dig itself into the same hole by starting all this nonsense. I am no fan of the Sky empire but I am delighted to see Wiggins win for the UK. Although the increased interest in cycling will hopefully be a positive thing I would hate to see it become a just another source of media gossip. How typical of the British media to take something positive and undermine it by trying to manufacture a feud between two team mates before the title has even been won officially.

Cheers

I sense this is happening. Crap isn't it. I don't mind kids on the podium but partners and spouses creating their own celebrity on the back of their partners/spouses success is just rubbish. I wish they's just crawl back into their well feathered nest and keep it shut.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    The whole article is clearly written by someone with no real knowledge of cycling and the fact that it is in the "Lifestyle" section (whatever that may be) says it all and just highlights my concerns. Cycling used to struggle to get onto the back pages, now this!
    I think Froome is probably made up to be second and will undoubtedly feature strongly in years to come. From what I've seen he has been very professional in his support and praise of his team leader (so has TJ Van Garderen with Evans for that matter) and all the so called complaints have come from his mrs.
    I'd be mortfifed if my wife turned up at my work telling everyone how great I was and to promote me instantly.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    jerry3571 wrote:
    An old bike rider I knew said that you get you should get a women for the winter and the dump her in the Spring. I love the older guys. ;)
    Sounds like Sean Yates. :lol:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I agree- and I adore the soap opera quality that pro cycling sometimes has, but this moronic fascination with the views of wives and girlfriends is taking it too far into the wrong sections of the news. Still, they're important to their men and contribute in varying degrees to their success. Hopefully, it'll be a passing fad- after all, few cyclists earn enough to keep up with footballers' WAGS. And to many journalists with an editor bellowing for another angle, it's an easier topic to write about than the intricacies of the sport.

It almost makes me nostalgic for the days when cycling was a minority sport. Almost.
  • jerry3571
    I know it's a load of old Balany but it may give an insight to what the riders are thinking rather than the PR we are fed.
    Who knows??
    -Jerry

PS- On a small diversion- I have seen Hutchinson on the TV giving his TT advice on Saturday's TT stage. If he happens kicks your butt on a TT then ask to play him at Pool afterwards; I think that's his Achilles Heel. ;)
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Really enjoyed listening to Hutch. His column is the first thing I turn to in The Comic.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Tusher wrote:
    I agree- and I adore the soap opera quality that pro cycling sometimes has, but this moronic fascination with the views of wives and girlfriends is taking it too far into the wrong sections of the news. Still, they're important to their men and contribute in varying degrees to their success. Hopefully, it'll be a passing fad- after all, few cyclists earn enough to keep up with footballers' WAGS. And to many journalists with an editor bellowing for another angle, it's an easier topic to write about than the intricacies of the sport.

It almost makes me nostalgic for the days when cycling was a minority sport. Almost.

I agree with nearly all of that. I couldn't care tuppence what their wives are called, what they look like, or what their views are. It appalls me that any newspaper has such a low opinion of their readers that they think that this stuff is "interesting" enough to devote space to, especially while the Tour is still going on. There will be more afterwards, of course. Expect photocalls and double page spreads of Famous Cyclists' wives and rubbish comparisons between them - with fashion notes and estimated values of their homes. :roll:
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Unfortunately its a pretty simple equation:

Paper/magazine prints sh@t+ people buy sh@t = more of the same.

My (increasingly out of step it seems) answer- I NEVER EVER buy that sh1t
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • jerry3571
    Would be interesting of hearing scandals and the tawdry details of the Sky team especially if it was The Sun or Times.
    It would be News International cannibalising itself. Cycling, as Duffers used to say, is "Wheels within Wheels".
    I love Cycling for this. Fascinating!

Jerry

PS- Just a wee theory. The 5 year plan for Sky winning the TDF is brought forward after News International/Murdock becomes the Prince Of Darkness the world over. Nothing like a good news story for Mr Murdock. :twisted:

-Jacques Anquetil
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Never mind this'll all be forgotten next week when they start on the Olympics. You know what short memories most of the mainstream media has over big stories.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman