25% Gradient climb

kayo74
kayo74 Posts: 299
edited July 2012 in The bottom bracket
Had debate with a guy at the top of this 25% gradient climb stating that it is a lot easier to climb on my compact road bike than his all singing all dancing mountain bike. This had me thinking as I'm sure it would be easier on his, could you stop me from pondering this thought!!!!!.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Compact on a road bike, mountain bikes are shite. I take it the "Debut" was actually a "Debate ?" :D

THE RULES are quite clear on dealing with this sort of thing. :wink:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It's be far easier on an MTB with a triple and dinner plate cassette.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Not quite as simple as easier, you might also have to include speed.

At the same speed, the road bike will be easier.
    If going slower doesn't matter then the mtb will be easier as it has much lower gears available.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    You should of had a race with him to find out!!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Does the weight distribution have an effect, i'd imagine that the WD is further forward on a road bike, helping a bit up hills?

But yes, gearing wise it is a comparative doddle on an MTB.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    But MTBer's are mostly fat & unfit :?:
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    There's a reason why Tour de France riders don't ride "mountain bikes" (ie piles of shite) on the mountains.
  • easier on a mtb, faster on a road bike... the hill behind my house that I have to ride up to get onto the local bridleways has a 25% section and, whereas you can twiddle up and barely get out of breath on the mtb if you choose, it's a brute on the road bike... pain's over quicker though.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    There's a reason why Tour de France riders don't ride "mountain bikes" (ie piles of shite) on the mountains.

What - that the gradients aren't generally that steep and there is a nice crust of smooth tarmac covering over the rough stuff? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    All other factors equal (he's going the same speed, equally strong, clipless) then the road bike will be easier, assuming you're strong enough to keep your cadence reasonably high. MTB man is correct!

To qualify that a top end MTB is not so much heavier than a mediocre road bike and the other road bike advantages (rolling, aero) are almost mute on such a steep climb; the difference ought to be minimal.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    Let's just say that at the time I was kicking myself for not bringing my MTB along :)

553187_10150663365483915_1079681938_n.jpg

But when I got to the top it felt like Thomas Voeckler winning stage 16...(though I think he felt a bit fresher after that...)
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    On your 700c wheel and compact gearing you have to turn the pedals less often to go as far up hill, therefore it's much easier than with wee 26" wheels and a 22:32 gear where you have to pedal more to get the same distance...

Actually, when it comes to bike comparisson, I find climbing more comfortable on the Kaffenback over the Sardar.

Kaffenback: ~12kg, Compact gearing, 700x28c tyres
    Sardar: ~20kg, Trekking Gearing (22:32), 26"x1.5 tyres

Obviously the weight difference plays a small part, but so too does the geometry and the gearing.
    Where as on the Kaff once I hit the granny ring I have no choice but to grind it I will hit the granny ring about the same point on the Sardar anyway.

By the fact you call it an "All Singing all Dancing mountain bike", I'm going to take a guess that he was on a 30kg downhill bike which isn't designed to be ridden on the flat let alone go up hill.

As well as the physical-mental environment set up by the bike there's also the solely mental part, on a Road bike you HAVE to stay on up a hill, the only excuse for not staying on is stalling and being unable to restart.
    On an MTB walking is perfectly acceptable.

So in short, MTBs are for wusses, get some CX tyres on and try out the climbs at your local trail centre and laugh at those queuing for the bus.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    nwallace wrote:
    On your 700c wheel and compact gearing you have to turn the pedals less often to go as far up hill, therefore it's much easier than with wee 26" wheels and a 22:32 gear where you have to pedal more to get the same distance...

Pedalling more does not make it harder to climb...quite the opposite....as proven by this year's TDF winner...check this out: http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2012/07/16/tour-tech-wiggos-di2-derailleur-hack/

Really low gearing lets you stay in the saddle for longer with less fatigue and prevents you from loosing traction when the surface is slippery...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    yaya wrote:
    nwallace wrote:

Pedalling more does not make it harder to climb...quite the opposite....as proven by this year's TDF winner...check this out: http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2012/07/16/tour-tech-wiggos-di2-derailleur-hack/

Really low gearing lets you stay in the saddle for longer with less fatigue and prevents you from loosing traction when the surface is slippery...

Although I find that if I slip into my triple on the front, the front end lifts off the ground so I barely ever use it. The lowest I go is 34/26 or 27 or whatever I have (can't remember)
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • yaya wrote:
    nwallace wrote:

Although I find that if I slip into my triple on the front, the front end lifts off the ground so I barely ever use it. The lowest I go is 34/26 or 27 or whatever I have (can't remember)

Hands on tops, elbows bent and tucked into sides and lean forwards with your chest down near the bars... just like climbing a steep teccy climb on a mountain bike.

Proves the adage that if more road cyclists rode mountain bikes they'd be better riders and if more mountain bikers rode road bikes they'd be better riders.

It'd also put an end to all the tribalism bollocks.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Proves the adage that if more road cyclists rode mountain bikes they'd be better riders and if more mountain bikers rode road bikes they'd be better riders.

I ride both but am still crap :oops:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

Ride more :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465

Snap,

I wasn't being serious about the pedalling less being easier, it's like saying I should drive everywhere in 6th gear because every time the engine turns once it will go further...
    Anyone that drives gets that, but people don't seem to equate cycling gears to the same sort of processes, e.g. bigger gear = more difficult, not even Shimano and SRAM who seem to insist that the same gearing is suitable for a 29er as for a 26" (Bigger circumference means 26-28 is a longer gear on a 29)
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days