sore fingers.

Bigchris
Bigchris Posts: 131
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Had this problem for a while, when's things get a bit technical for a prolonged period my fingers like seize up to the shape which I have been wringing the bars and when i try bend them they ache and i struggle to clench my fist, this wears off after a few minutes though.

I use thin grips at the moment, and judging from another post I've found on here, that could be the problem, but i don't want to fork out on no grips really to be honest...could it be that i am clenching the bars to hard or is it just...finger stamina?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Well I know one way to build up finger stamina..... ;)

Just loosen your grip on the bars a bit, don't hold on for dear life and grip as hard as you can; rather hold them loosely, but not so loosely that you cannot control still.

Extra stamina could help, and certainly wouldn't hinder.
  • Emphursis
    Emphursis Posts: 124
    You could try some hand grips to build up strength in your fingers (Amazon have some good ones for sale, quite cheap as well) but it sounds like you're holding on too tightly.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You may be clenching the bars too hard, but in all likelihood, it's just something that you'll have to put up with until your fingers (forearms) strengthen up. The more you ride touch terrain, the less it happens.
    If you're finding it happens when you're covering the brakes, then it can help to set the brake reach and bite point closer to the bar, reducing the stretch on the hands when holding on and covering the brake levers.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I get a similar problem when I lap the bike park - 5-600m vertical, 15 minute top to bottom runs, if I non stop a run by the time I am on the final run in to the lift my fingers are toast, aching across the finger joints. One hand more than the other but that is the one with what feels like an arthritic start in it.

I am 41 and my hands cant take it so much any more - dont have problem on trails and xc runs with ups and downs and shorter prolonged battering of the fingers.

I dont think a change of grips would make any difference to me.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    One thing I did fiddle with that actually made a surprising difference is one of those powerball things.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah, sounds like you just need to build up some strength in your hands/forearms, powerballs are pretty good as yeehaa said. I have one, which helped me recover from my broken wrist, but I kind of just forgot to use it after that. Just riding lots tends to help. Also as he said, it might be worth fiddling with the reach on your brakes. Also, try to brake less if you can. I find I get a lot of arm pump when I'm on the brakes when I shouldn't be, it's a confidence thing.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Do some weights, that should help your grip. Things like deadlifts, whilt being great for your overall strength, are superb at improving grip. I use a grip strengthener (mine is from Decathlon) and that helps also. I've never had arm pump.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    As compo said avoid the death grip. Also could be the angle of your brake levers, try putting them more horizontally (so your fingers aren't as stretched).
  • Bigchris
    Cheers lads.

Il have to give the advice a try. I have pretty good grip due to doing alot of gym, so in not sure that's the problem its more what paul described, a ache on the joints, like some arthritis or something. It affects my 3 outer most fingers as they are the fingers i use to grip and my other for braking. Could well be the "death grip", will have to experiment.

I'm only 24 so thats a little worrying paul :)

Thanks for all replies, cheers.
  • Bigchris
    Sorry double post
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Could be typing up all that nutty conspiracy stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bigchris
    Maybe, maybe not