Strava or a stand alone GPS

spaceman.spiff
spaceman.spiff Posts: 15
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Firstly hello to all on the Bike radar forums, I have been lurking around for a while now but not really had anything to say until now.

I have been using Strava since I started cycling a few months ago and it has preformed quite well until last week, It seems to not be picking up where I am on a road accuaratly and this is affecting the segments. This would not bother me normally but as I’m stating to see improvements in my riding its annoying to get home thinking I have beaten my time up a hill only to discover that Strava didn’t even record it. I’m starting to think that a Garmin is the way to go but I’m wondering how accurate they are, I don’t want to shell out the cash and find out it just as effective as Strava.

Anyone have any advice or experiences they would like to depart??
Rose Carbon Pro SL 4400
Cannondale Caad4

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Garmins are fine. Yes deduct a little from the over optimistic calorie counter and you'll need to do the elevation change when you upload to Strava, but mine never loses where I am, gives accurate speed, cadence and HRM readings and is excellent for mapping if I I'm trying to follow a route.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I've been using Strava for a while and it is good.

However I have now found that I want the extras of a Garmin like philthy3 says, cadence HRM etc.

I'm pretty sure you can upload to Strava from a Garmin, so it does seem a logical step to move to a standalone device.
  • cmt
    cmt Posts: 65
    You can re-polish the segment using this link.

http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/snap/

The ]n re-upload it.
    I had a problem with Strava (well the GPS on my phone) not recording my position correctly. Finally figured out that i was blocking most of the phone GPS signals with the other junk i was carrying in my small backpack.

I re-located the phone and now all is back on track
  • jagx400
    jagx400 Posts: 132
    I bought an Edge 200 then found I wanted the 500. I took it back to Halfords and told them it was faulty and wanted to pay the extra for the 500. They swapped it, but now I find the 500 gives too much info (Can you have enough info). I dont need cadence as my legs let me know how fast they are going, i have a HRM from Lidl, works a treat.

The one good thing is my phone now lasts all day, GPS kills the battery.

My choice is the Garmin. Phones are for phone calls.
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    No there not they are for taking pictures and video or is listening to music! I'm confused now! :)

Garnin 800 for best thing I've bought. I can go on all these single track roads in the middle of nowhere in confidence the Gramin will direct me home!
  • Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks likes a Garmin is the way to go, all I have to do now is work out what one I need. I think that the 200 will do, I don't think that I need (or understand) all the features the 500 offers. More importantly I need to find a way of hiding the purchase from the wife :shock:
    Rose Carbon Pro SL 4400
    Cannondale Caad4
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    philthy3 wrote:
    Garmins are fine. Yes deduct a little from the over optimistic calorie counter and you'll need to do the elevation change when you upload to Strava, but mine never loses where I am, gives accurate speed, cadence and HRM readings and is excellent for mapping if I I'm trying to follow a route.

No. Ignore it. For some people it's over, but for me (compared to kJ figure from a power meter) it's always significantly under when it uses HR to guesstimate calories burnt.
    More problems but still living....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I don't think the 500 is very much more expensive than the 200 and it does give you the option to add those features that you don't think you need right now but may want in the future. Just my opinion
  • jagx400
    jagx400 Posts: 132
    My Edge 500 cost me £230 for the basic version, £159 for the unit, £70 for new shoes and top for the wife. It was that or I couldn't have my toy