home made wheel trueing stand.

One 80
One 80 Posts: 62
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just thought id show my attempt at making my own trueing stand. im no expert as you can see and decided to make this after watching a video on youtube on how to true a wheel the proper way.
its the first time iv ever trued a wheel or seen how its done but was pleased with the result. i got it to within 1mm of true which seems ok for a first try. tommorrow i will try and get it to 0.5 mm true i hope.

any advice or comments or tips appreciated.

thanks

7617608978_b561f47327_z_d.jpg
7617609896_359ababb32_z_d.jpg
7617610692_16525e6b85_z_d.jpg
Boardman comp 2012

Comments

• :D Thats a great idea mate. I have an old BSO full sus frame that i was going to pinch the seatstays/rear end from to make a truing stand BUT i may "borrow" (NOT rip off :roll: :lol:) your idea and make one from wood. Good job beats paying whatever the cost for a bought stand would be (i suggest a coat of matt gloss...... Then Park Tools stickers :lol:.).

Thanks.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    How do you do a front though?
  • Top fettling there! *impressed*

....but yeah, is it narrow enough to hold a front too?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nice, but I use an old frame ;-)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    That does look pretty neat. Here's mine, adjustable for hubs up to 150mm
    IMAG0165.jpg

It's from Roger Musson's Wheelpro book.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    bails87 wrote:
    It's from Roger Musson's Wheelpro book.

Good book that, decent price too.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well it will do the job won't it. Even (or as close to even as possible) tension more important than getting the true as close to perfect as possible. Getting even tension and getting to within 0.5mm (or better) lateral and radial true is the the goal to aim for. Getting it true does not even tension.

In fact if you have even tension the wheel won't be true you need to get the tension close to even.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    How do you do a front though?

na it wont do a front as it is but i can just make an add on peice to narrow the gap. it started an experiment because i buckled my wheel on friday so it will have to evolve to suit front wheels or il just make a smaller one.

i may put more effort in and just make a new one from fresh as this one worked.

i need to do more research though on trueing because i found it a lot harder to true the roundness and failed to be honest to get it near perfect.

thanks all for replies, tips and comments
    Boardman comp 2012
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep, roundness is more difficult as when you adjust it it moves in both plains. You need on yours a more adjustable positioning system on the screws especially with disc specific rims.