DT Swiss Hub

Stephenjames
Stephenjames Posts: 47
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, can anyone give me some advice?. I have a DT Swiss wheel on a Specialized Stumpjumper HT. The hub keeps coming undone and at high speeds the hub/cassette make a terrible noise. Can anyone suggest ways to fix it/correct it??

Thanks.

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    What exactly do you mean, "the hub keeps coming undone"?
    What parts of the hub are separating?
  • Sounds quite bad and dangerous to be honest!! Not sure quite where it's coming undone?? if you mean the QR skewer i would just do it up some more?! if it still slips i would purchase some Shimano QR skewers (more clamping force).

Also sounds like your freehub (or the bearings in it?) are running rough. I figure they will be cartridge bearings if so at a push you may be able to pop off the seals CAREFULLY and pack some more grease in. If not look for numbers on the bearing shells and replace with the same from a bearing supplier if you feel up to it OR...... Take it to a friendly local bike shop and tell them what the problems are.

Thanks.
  • Hi, the 'locknuts' keep coming undone. Everytime I tighten them they keep coming undone. It never happend with the front wheel, just the rear wheel.

Thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So you are tightening them properly, using a pair of spanners?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yes I have been tightening them, although any attempts to tighten them right up see to 'lock up' the hub. Could there be something wrong with th bearings??

Thanks.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    If you're tightening up the locknuts, which results is the hub seizing, then you're not tightening them up properly.
    You'll need two "cone spanners" - thin spanners to fit the cone and locknut. Use one of them to hold the cone still, whilst tightening the locknut up against it.
  • Hi, thnx for all the advice, have dropped the wheel into local bike shop to see what they make of it. Will invest in some cone spanners.

Thnx again.
  • cooldad
    If you haven't been using cone spanners, you obviously haven't been tightening the locknuts properly. There's your problem, no LBS required.
    Just send me the money instead.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I took the wheel to my local bike shop, after a week and being told one of thier mechanics is away. I am now going to have a go at fixing it myself. Have sourced a chain whip, 17/18mm cone spanners and some Shimano replacment bearing, wish me luck!
  • cooldad
    Your LBS is obviously rubbish. Read Parktools website - it's really easy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools