Brake upgrade

bigman1976
bigman1976 Posts: 29
edited July 2012 in MTB general
As someone who is heavier than is strictly necessary (20+ stone), I am concerned that the 160mm rotors on my Rockhopper aren't really up to the job. They're Tektro Draco disks and pads. I've taken it out off road and whilst they're much, much better than the cantilevers on my venerable GT, they're not as good as I was expecting.

Is it worth me upgrading them to 180mm or even 203mm at least on the front? If so, what sort of cost is that going to be? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd go 203 front, 180 back, will give you a nice increase in power. Looking at about £25 for the rotors, another tenner for mounts. Look at Superstar's offerings.
  • bigman1976
    Sounds like a good value for money upgrade. As a mechanical numpty, is this something I could do at home with basic tools or would I need to bleed the brakes etc?
  • supersonic
    No need to bleed: you will need allen kets, T25 torx driver and that's about it! Change rotors and adaptors over, align caliper, bed in.
  • bigman1976
    Sounds relatively simple - may well have a go at doing this myself. What could possible go wrong? :shock:
  • supersonic
    You go over the bars ;-)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only if you do it right. And no problem if you do it wrong as that friendly tree at the bottom of the trail will slow you down.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I am looking at upgrading the front rotor too. I have elixir 1's.

Can it be done and what parts do I need? I'd be doing it myself... Cheers!!!
  • cooldad
    Same as above, bigger rotors and the right size adapters.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Providing your forks can handle it. They will specify biggest rotors to be used.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Rotors are directional as well so make sure you put them on the right way round.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Brill. Looks like I need a PM-PM adaptor to go from current 160mm up to 180mm. They are 4.99 on Superstars website.

Does it matter what actual 180mm rotor you get? Do the different wavy designs make a difference on braking quality?

Also, just read the technical manual and can't find whether my Rock Shox Recon Silver Tk Air solo specifically can or can't take bigger rotors....

Thanks and sorry for hijack!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/r ... erm-id/104

Click on specifications, max rotor 210mm.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Amazing. Cheers mate, I was reading the technical manual at the bottom!!
  • bigman1976

Thanks and sorry for hijack!

Not a problem! You've got the same forks as me so maximum rotor size was something I was looking at too. Just need to work out which adapters I need now. Recon silvers on the front and they're hung on a Spesh Rockhopper 23" frame. Any ideas?
  • The fork is a post mount and all you need to check is what your calipers are.

My Rock Shox is PM and my Avid Elixir 1's are also post mount. That means I'll need to get a PM-PM 180mm adaptor. 4.99 on chain reaction!!!