F****d free hub so soon???

The_captain
The_captain Posts: 22
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I got my Specialized Allez sport at the beginning of May, and iveonly put about 500km on it.

Yesterday I could hear an odd noise form the back wheel, my LBS had a look and said its the bearings in the free hub, and that it should be replaced.

I'm not a big fella (6 feet 2, 13 stone) so I dont think I'm putting too much pressure on components.

Would anyone expect this,ind of thing to happen so soon, or am I just a victim of a dodgy component?

Comments

• thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I have a Specialized Tarmac, and mine went after 1500 miles (more than you but still not that much) I ended up buying better Mavic wheels rather than source new bearings (it was an open unit- so individual bearings where needed rather than a new enclosed hub).

I wonder if it is cheap stock that comes with the bike!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • You could well be right, and if this gives an excuse for some new wheels then I'm cool with that!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Cheap components... Plus it has been very wet, which is the bearing killer
    left the forum March 2023
  • I had the freehub go on my Giant Defy after about 500 miles (although I carried on riding it for a bit). It was replaced under warrantee in the end and the new one has been ok.
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    When will specialized realise they're damaging their reputation (as far as I'm concerned) with these almost useless hubs. Having just brought a new bike, spesh didn't even get a consideration when I was looking...for just the above reason, it's so common to hear about the hubs.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    No bike part should be dying that fast...

Someone's welcome to correct me, but so far as I'm concerned hubs aren't something you should need to be replacing often, or expecting to need to. If you've any warranty, I suggest you invoke it!
  • Thanks for the comments, I'm getting e hub replaced for free as its under warranty, but I have now started looking at new wheels with a better hub.

Anyone with any thoughts on Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels?
  • I have Kryrium Elites. I'm heavier than you by a stone.

I've done 96 rides and 3,500 miles on them since November 2011 so through pretty poor weather, and I have not had a single problem.

Try and stay out of potholes and you should be fine.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I have two Ribble bikes both with the basic sets of wheels.

The winter Audax has been ridden regularly for 3+ years and the rear hub is fine - just a pity I squashed the rim in a large pothole late last year. Mavic rims and Shimano Sora hubs.

The Gran Fondo came with Pro-Lites. It was hardly ridden when the rear hub started making a grinding noise. The LBS open the hub - full of rusty bearings and no grease. It had been ridden in the rain but not full on down pour. He replaced the bearings and cleaned it up but the cups are worn/scored. Eventually Ribble took them back and did the same under the warranty. They even credited me the cost of the LBS work (only £10) however it soon started grinding again.

For comparison I was given a set of Bontrager race-lites with very worn rims. I tried them but the rims were so worn that I didn't trust them. The rear is now a turbo wheel and the front chucked away. Both hubs were in much better condition than the Pro-lite hubs after 6 months.

I guess you get what you pay for.