Tyre inflation.

woodgnome
woodgnome Posts: 28
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
hi,
What do you carry when out riding in case of punctures. I have my mini pump for my MTB, but that doesnt go to higher the pressures needed, but almost does the job. Do you carry the co2 stuff, or a high pressure mini pump?
Thanks

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    high pressure mini pump and some patches.

even using a cheap lidl/aldi pump has allowed me enough pressure to get home
  • Graham1426
    Graham1426 Posts: 30
    Compressed C02 cannisters, they inflate tyres up to 120ish psi in a blink of an eye, and take almost no space in my seatpost bag.
    Cube Agree GTC
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Couple of spare tubes, patch and tyre levers in a small saddle bag, mini pump on the frame
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    At the moment, I have an ancient and throughly useless framefit. It inflates enough to get home. I also carry self-adhesive patches. They have worked well for me so far.

Keep in mind that my main bike is very old (about 30) and has 27" wheels, and therefore bigger tyres (currently 1 1/4 (32mm); going to move down to 1 1/8 (28mm) next), so I can't comment on whether ot not the self-adhesives would work if you're running 700x23 at high pressure.

The other consideration is that the frame is far too old for braze-ons, and I haven't had bosses put on yet. It has decals on the seat tube which I less don't want to interrupt as damage (further), as I'd like them to be duplicable when I have the frame resprayed. I therefore don't have a bottle on the seat tube, leaving space for a framefit. I will replace mine with a good framefit at some point; it's the obvious choice given the above, and they do inflate much faster than mini pumps.

However, for all that I haven't had a single puncture with my Gatorskins, which I've had for several months and done well over a thousand miles on. I'm aware that some people have the opposite experience, but not me. And I've cycled over plenty of glass, as there are many idiots in this neck of the woods. :roll:
  • woodgnome
    woodgnome Posts: 28
    I thought about the CO2, but i wasn't sure if they would overinflate as there's not much volume in the trye.
    Thanks for the replies. :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    a pump inflates as many times as you have the energy to use it

a co2 cartridge does it once, if you mess up it doesn't even do that

imho unless you are in a race where the few minutes saved by co2 will be useful, there's little point in them

if you want to be able to inflate more than once, co2 works out heavier than a lightweight minipump - and i've had a few rides where i needed to inflate more than once
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Lezyne mini pump goes up to 100psi so that's fine for me.
    As the previous poster says - co2 aren't worth it unless you're racing.