Handlebar stem length ?

blackstick
blackstick Posts: 151
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Helo , how are you ?

I've been riding on my road bike for a while , recently noticed that I'am feeling more back pain when I'am holding on to the hoods . On the drops and the top/the straight part of the bar is ok .

Also I've changed from a Sora to 105 shifters which there are no button on the 105 where I can put my hands even further on the hoods . Wonder if this slightly longer reach has caused the pain as I need to lean more forward ?
But I can really feel a longer reach when holding onto the hoods .
My stem does not say how long it is , but is is a RC Bianchi stock item on a C2C Nirone .

Should I change to a shorter stem ?
Thanks .

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    If you need to reach further then it could be worth a shot but have you tried changing the position of the stem?

Most bikes will have a stem that will allow you to flip it over and/or move the position with the spacers on the steerer which could give a better, more comfortable position. Even tilting the bars towards you could help.

Failing that then a replacement stem wont be too expensive just measure yours from the centre of the bars to the centre of the steerer so you can find a shorter model.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    You could try another stem but also try rotating the bars up a bit or move the shifters further up the bars.

To measure the length of the stem, measure from a point in the centre of the hole for the steerer tube to a point in the centre of the hole for the bars. It will be to the nearest 5 or 10mm.