4th cat question

loukest
loukest Posts: 89
edited July 2012 in Amateur race
Hi, i have a question,

I've decided to have a go at racing. After an hour or so of reading i bought a silver membership with which you receive a provisional racing license. I have read that a provisional license allows you to take part in some events but you are not able to accumulate points. I then proceeded to enter a race in north yorkshire which takes place on the 5th august. I am slightly confused as to whether i need to do anything else. I'm confused as to the difference between a day racing license and a provisnal license. Do i need both or will the provisional license do the trick. There is a table on the british cycling website which shows the costs for a day license, it states that for provisional licence holders a day license is free. Again, i found this confusing as there are no details of how to apply or obtain a day license.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I think it depends on the event (not sure though). I would email the event organiser to get clarification; although the response I got via email was different to on the day - I got told I needed a full license, but on the day it was a 'Go-Ride' event (i.e. pay on the day)

As far as I know, the licence is all about insurance.... which means it depends on whether the organisers of the event have the ability to arrange this on the day.
    Simon
  • loukest
    loukest Posts: 89
    Thanks Simon,

I did do as you suggested and he was not 100 percent sure of the answer. I thought i would be helpful and look into it myself, he was going to do the same. Id be happy to buy a racing license but they run out in december and dont pro rata the price. I know that sounds a bit mean but i thought the provisional license would be a good way of "giving it a go" before buying the full license next year by which time i will hopefully be more likely to acually get myself a point or two.

Tom
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    loukest wrote:
    Thanks Simon,

I did do as you suggested and he was not 100 percent sure of the answer. I thought i would be helpful and look into it myself, he was going to do the same. Id be happy to buy a racing license but they run out in december and dont pro rata the price. I know that sounds a bit mean but i thought the provisional license would be a good way of "giving it a go" before buying the full license next year by which time i will hopefully be more likely to acually get myself a point or two.

Tom

They do it pro-rata from the 1st July, I had it like that. Give them a ring on 0161 274 2010 and have your membership number to hand and you should be able to buy one on the phone, only £16 I believe.

Mike
  • OK - here's how it works in Eastern region, can only assume it's the same everywhere:

If you have a full licence you don't need to pay any day licence fees. If you have a provisional licence it is as follows:

A 'Go-Race' event can be ridden on a bronze, silver or gold provisional licence, without any need to buy a 'day licence'.

A Regional C+ or Regional C event can be ridden on a provisional licence if you are a silver or gold provisional licence holder - you need to buy a day licence if you are a bronze member (£5).

For a Regional A or Regional B event you need to pay for a day licence regardless of bronze/silver/gold if you are a provisional licence holder - but the cost is £10 to bronze members and £5 to silver or gold.

For a National A or B event you cannot buy a day licence, you are instead fined £10 for not being able to present a current/valid licence.

Juniors pay half the prices given above.

Non members have to pay an extra £5 for Go Race and Regional C and C+, for Regional A/B they pay the same as Bronze members.
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/