Who's worth more - Cav or Wiggo?

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Imagine you're the owner of a cycling team, who would you rather have on your team (assuming you can only afford one)?

Comments

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Hmm both are stage race champions and have won bunch sprints... toughy :P
  • esafosfina
    esafosfina Posts: 131
    Having experienced something similar when racing for a team that had a Tour winner and a classics winner (albeit not a World Champ) I would have to say Wiggins. Apologies to Cav...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Cav - still got the drive. Not sure Wiggo will have so much next year....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Cav, he's younger with more years of value in him.
  • esafosfina
    esafosfina Posts: 131
    Unfortunately you can win bucket-loads of stages in the tour and still be overshadowed by a general classification win... just the way it is...!
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    And to be fair. The way it should be ^^
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    All things being equal (age etc), Wiggo. The guy's palmares are outstanding.

I don't want to be disrespectful, but sprinters are not as important as a truly good all round rider for a GC situation.

I say the above because today I think I saw Cav's most perfect win yet. It was sublime, as is Wiggo's GC position. All are done through team work.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    Cavendish's stage wins are more likely to be talked about in 20 years time than Wiggins' one win at the tour. However, the tour de france winner is usually worth more.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Can I not sign Chris Froome instead?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Depends what you're after.

If it's UCI points - which are handy for a rider to have when it comes to contract negotiations, then winning the TdF is worth 200, winning a stage is worth 20.

Cav's 5 stage wins last year were worth a 5th place. Can anyone tell me who finished fifth?
    The whole season Cav notched up just 152 points, 28th place.

Wiggins has 335 already this year, with 200 more to come....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Cavendish's stage wins are more likely to be talked about in 20 years time than Wiggins' one win at the tour. However, the tour de france winner is usually worth more.
    Really? By whom? By the general public, no chance. They will be more excited about the new footballing talent, I expect. This may be the same of the GC winner. Winning the yellow jersey is glory forever. Stage wins are all very good, but GC is what it's all about.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    What about in terms of sponsorship? If a brand invests in a team, then would it prefer A GC rider who may not win many stages but gets the mention, or the TV shot of a sprinter winning the stage, and flashing their branding to the world.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Well, the forum in the past has indicated that Cavendish wins aren't worth that much in terms of interest. Yesterdays was different because he's had such a howler in terms of sprint chances this year. His speed will also wane over the years.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Got to be Wiggins, just for the column inches he could generate.

On subject of Cav, what are the chances of him changing his riding style and concentrating less on bunch sprints and trying to win from further out. Something akin to Jalabert did or Boonen over last couple of years.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Really? By whom? By the general public, no chance. They will be more excited about the new footballing talent, I expect. This may be the same of the GC winner. Winning the yellow jersey is glory forever. Stage wins are all very good, but GC is what it's all about.

People who like cycling will wonder who that guy is that won 22 stages of the tour. They are likely to be less concerned about who won the tour once in 2012. For example I have heard of Darrigade, but not Lucien Aimar.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

People who like cycling will wonder who that guy is that won 22 stages of the tour. They are likely to be less concerned about who won the tour once in 2012. For example I have heard of Darrigade, but not Lucien Aimar.

Maybe but if Wiggins wins won't he also be the only brit to do so in the 99 year history of the TDF? that alone will help him be remembered more than a man with more stage wins than another sprinter from years gone by.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Today? Wiggins.

For the next three? Cav.

Wiggins is old.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Wiggins year, it will not happen again. He has opened the way, but he is old and Froome is stronger and younger. He had an amazing career... Time to let others win
    left the forum March 2023
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Today? Wiggins.

For the next three? Cav.

Wiggins is old.

+1

The value of having the first ever British Tour winner is massive but his value will fall over the next few years. Fast. He's going to struggle to get on the podium next year with some big names back and a parcours full to the brim with cols. Even when acheiving something as truly historic as he has done this year, he has been partly overshadowed by a younger and probably better British GC rider in Chris Froome. Wiggins is quite an unassuming guy and now he has acheived his ultimate goal I wouldn't be surprised if we see him take a back seat in favour of Froome. He's already hinted as much.

Cav on the other hand is going to carry on winning stages in the most commercial bike race in the world for some years to come. Not only that but within three or four years he's likely going to be the most prolific Tour stage winner in history, and that is absolutely priceless.
  • Definitely Wiggins, winning the tour is forever.

Cavendish dominates his subfield even more then Wiggin's does his, but it's just that - a subfield/niche. An amazing cyclist but a TdF winner is a TdF winner...it doesn't get any higher then that.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Will people who like cycling not be talking about Wiggins as the only rider to have won Paris Nice, the Tour of Romandie, the Criterium du Dauphine and the Tour de France (hopefully) in the same year?
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    How many stage wins did Cav achieve under and where are HTC now?

I could see Cav making a sudden departure to OQS as it looks like next years TFD will be for Froome.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Never know - Froome may get offered a fortune and jump ship himself!
    I would like to see that happen and he then get beat badly. His play acting on the mountains has been embarrassing. It was great to see Wiggo destroy the field yesterday - the best riposte he could have come back with.

Personally, I value Wiggo over Cavendish any day. I think he will be seen as a legendary figure of British Cycling in years to come. How many cyclists have won Olympic gold and TdF?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    nathancom wrote:
    How many cyclists have won Olympic gold and TdF?
    Five.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    RichN95 wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    Five.
    That puts him in a very select group even if he only wins one TdF.

Apparently no Olympic track gold medallist has ever gone on to win TdF before though...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    nathancom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    Five.
    That puts him in a very select group even if he only wins one TdF.

Apparently no Olympic track gold medallist has ever gone on to win TdF before though...
    Yeah, the other four were all on the road - Jan Ullrich, Miguel Indurain, Joop Zoetemelk and Andre Leducq.
    The only other person to win the Tour and a track World Championship is Fausto Coppi
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    At the moment I'd say Wiggins but long term I'd say Cav. He's assured legendary status already, Wiggo at the moment is the first British tour winner but outside the UK he's still only a one time tour winner for now.

Obviously it depends what wiggins does in future but in the last few years I'd say cav was more bankable than someone like Satre.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017