Testicular pain

Candydale
Candydale Posts: 4
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys! I've been searching the net for this slight problem I have, and thought it would be best to post on here.
Basically I'm new to cycling and I do have padded cycling shorts but don't often wear them. last week I probably went out about 3/4 times cycling 20miles on each occassion, I noticed slight pain in my testicle, it's been on and off but yesterday (I didn't ride yesterday) it's been hurting all day and today. I checked for lumps ect ect and there's nothing there I will get it checked out if it hasn't gone by monday (I've actually had testicular cancer before)
Is it quite common to get testicle pain from not wearing padded shorts? or wrong saddle/height? and how long does the pain normally last?

Thank you.

Comments

• The last time I had pain there I was cycling home after a particularly steamy session with Adrienne Ormisher about 30 years ago. Thanks for reminding me. :lol:

And good luck at the doctors on Monday!
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    Hi there,

I'm new to the sport but haven't had any pain like you describe (although my @rse is in tatters). Like you say yourself, best get it checked out. Probably nothing but still the best course of action.

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • Candydale
    Yeah I had quite bad saddle sore! it hurt everytime I sat down on my sofa, and couldn't sit on my saddle for about 3/4 days.
    Has anyone else had any problems with testicular pain though?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    if you're not wearing the right type of shorts then your danglies can sit on the saddle and get knocked around...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Candydale wrote:
    Hey guys! I've been searching the net for this slight problem I have, and thought it would be best to post on here.
    Basically I'm new to cycling and I do have padded cycling shorts but don't often wear them. last week I probably went out about 3/4 times cycling 20miles on each occassion, I noticed slight pain in my testicle, it's been on and off but yesterday (I didn't ride yesterday) it's been hurting all day and today. I checked for lumps ect ect and there's nothing there I will get it checked out if it hasn't gone by monday (I've actually had testicular cancer before)
    Is it quite common to get testicle pain from not wearing padded shorts? or wrong saddle/height? and how long does the pain normally last?

Thank you.

It is inflammation of the epidimial sack. Need to see a doctor and take antibiotic for a week and stay off the bike until it is sorted. It is quite common
    left the forum March 2023
  • Candydale
    I don't have any inflammation though?
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Saddle sore I'm only too familar with. I used to do 35 miles of commuting each day with only my ancient school PE shorts. It wasn't nice. :lol:

You are right that the wrong saddle and height can cause trouble as well. A couple of months back I made the mistake of adjusting my saddle position with a multispanner. The seatpost is an old two-bolt, and I couldn't get it tight enough. The result was that the saddle would rock backwards, but I still had the aforementioned commuting to do. I ended up detouring to my LBS to get it rectified, as the ride was uncomfortable and the pain was horrible; including muscular pain in my leg.

Basically, if it hurts, don't ignore it! It sounds like the pain you're experiencing is internal, but it could well be caused by cycling. Best to see a doctor and get it checked out.

As for cycling shorts, the issue is definitely divisive, but there is a reason why we use them. My experience is of one side; plenty of people have the opposite and do just fine with ordinary shorts. Disregarding the other reasons for wearing lycra, it's a matter of different backsides, saddles and riding styles. Often (if not always) road cyclists are riding at very high intensity, often for long distances, and therefore need a very supportive saddle that's also minimal in shape to facilitate movement. These saddles are also (presumably) designed to be used with padded shorts; putting lots of squishy gel in a saddle is fine for riding to the shops, but an anatomically shaped pad combined with a firm and supportive seat is a far more effective method for what we're interested in.

With reference to the above experience, I now never ride without my bibs, and if necessary (for whatever I might be doing) I will wear them under ordinary shorts.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Candydale wrote:
    I don't have any inflammation though?

No inflammation = no pain... of course you have an inflammation... it doesn't have to be red and swollen to be inflamed... check the epidimial cord behind the testicle for sign of moderate swelling, comparing with the other side.
    In any case, see a doctor... balls can be temperamental!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I have and get exactly the same as you... I sometimes have to take anti biotics for it.. Had it when I was rock climbing alot years ago... It's just your balls getting bashed about..

I only seem to get it on my MTB though... My road bike doesn't seem to cause any pain...

I think this is quite common with cyclists... Beings you are essentially moving your balls from left to right for hours on end.. Ha!
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • cmt
    cmt Posts: 65
    No ball pains, even on the longest rides, but i do get a case of 'Numb Nob' every now and again espicially on the long hils where i'm sat grinding away for over an hour. It gets so bad it feels like i've wet myself (the first time it happened i had to stop and check!)

A quick stand up to let the blood flow back to the affected areas and i'm right as rain.

I may be a saddle position issue plus the lack of padded shorts dont help. They are cheap enough at places like Aldi and do the job nicely.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    if you're not wearing the right type of shorts then your danglies can sit on the saddle and get knocked around...

I can vouch for that(getting knocked around). Although mine is NOT caused by wrong shorts. I wear poly brief shorts under my cycling shorts to keep, specifically lefty, from bouncing around too much. Works well for me. I believe and have been told by Doctors that the pain is most likely because of a vasectomey many years ago. They don't know why buy some people have this problem. As long as ol' lefty is supported I'm fine and I do a pretty fair amount of riding.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Yeah, I very recently had this for around 3 or 4 months. I'll still get the occasional twinge now and then, but it's nothing compared to how it was.

For me it was a dull ache in the right tezza shooting up into my abdomen. I got it checked out at the doctors' and had lots of tests, including ultrasound scans, and nothing unusual showed up. This thread is the first time I've read of inflamation of the epidimial sack, however, and I wish I'd known about it sooner, as the pain did seem to stem from just below the ball . Beyond that, I just came to the conclusion I'd bruised something when riding fast on
    my singlespeed, which has a rather bouncy saddle.

I did buy some better quality shorts that cradle my plums rather than squish them. I don't know whether they helped cure the pain, but they're definitely more comfortable.

Do go see a doctor, but don't worry yet.