Daily moving on statistics

Lichtblick
Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Logistics have always fascinated me, so I had a go at those of the TdF.

Every day (bar two), all these people have to move on. Every Day.

Riders: 198 started

Team entourages: managers, officials, soigneurs, coach drivers, car drivers, motorbike riders, chefs/cooks.

Publicity Caravan: 160 vehicles with crew of 600 +12 police +4 bikes +3 medical cars

The Media: rough average for all media 4,300 (figure from letour.fr)

Road barrier crews

Police Riders

Medics in cars and on bikes

Podium Girls

Commissars, marshals, officials, Bernard Hinault.

Any other category which I've left out.

This has to be the most fantastic and fantastically well organised moving event in history. Mind you, approaching their 100th, you'd expect them to have it well-oiled by now.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Yeah it is pretty insane. When you are at a finish or start and you see the huge amount that is put up and taken down it is amazing. Like a small village.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ruswilks
    ruswilks Posts: 72
    I'm sure I read the Tour 'circus' totals about 10,000 people! Insane to think they have to be accommodated every day for 3 weeks, with pretty much every night in a different town to the last.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    I'm guessing that no-one else will get a hotel room within ~50 miles of each stage start/finish when the Tour is moving through. All booked up ? a year ahead?

I bet that annoys tourists who are unaware of these things, trying to plan their holidays. :D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    That list makes it sound as if there have to be special provisions made for Bernard Hinault. Like moving Hannibal Lecter.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    So much for cycling being a green way to travel! I've also wondered how much in the way of fumes etc those guys breathe in every day.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Saw the majority of the team cars on the autoroute after stage 17 and also one team bike on the road that had previously been on top of an FDJ car. Oops!