Selling Rockhopper - Should I split or sell whole?

agg25
agg25 Posts: 619
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I've got a Rockhopper which I've been using for commuting but now I qualify for the Cyclescheme was going to grab something more designed for the road. Don't know whether I should break up the bike or sell as is though. I know postage and stripping it and dealing with more people and possibility of having bits left over is a con of breaking but if I'd make a fair bit more out of it it'd be worth it...
What d'you's reckon?

RockhopperBrighton.jpg

Specialized Rockhopper 2008

Bottom Bracket Shimano XT Hollowtech II
Cassette Shimano MTB XT Cassette 9 Speed M770 11-32
Crankset Shimano MTB XT Chainset M770 170mm 4-Bolt 22.32.44
Fork Rockshox Reba World Cup Blackbox Carbon 1 1/8" 2008
Front Brake Shimano XT M775 Hydraulic Disc Brake - 160mm rotors
Front Derailleur Shimano MTB Front XT Front Derailleur Conventional M761 31.8-34.9 TP/BP (44 tooth/66-69 Deg)
Front Wheel Fulcrum Red Metal 5
Handlebar Easton Handlebars Riser EA50 Riser Bars Black 685mm-2" Hi Rise-31.8 Clamp
Headset FSA Pig 1 1/8"
Pedals Shimano 520
Rear Brake Shimano XT M775 Hydraulic Disc Brake - 160mm rotors
Rear Derailleur Shimano MTB Rear XT Rear Derailleur M761 SGS Long Cage 9 Speed
Rear Wheel Fulcrum Red Metal 5
Tyres Schwalbe Marathon Racer
Saddle SDG Bel Air
Seatpost SDG
Stem Truvativ - MTB Hussefelt DH Stem 2007 40mm 0 Deg Black 31.8 Clamp
Mudguard - THE Mudguards Sportline Rear Fender Black
Chainstay protector - Lizard Skins Frames - Protection Chain Stay Protector Jumbo Blue

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    So similar to mine it's untrue.

Often thought that too. I usually come to the conclusion it would be best to split.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That looks like a 2006 19" mine is 17"
  • agg25
    They were all that shape for a few years Chunkers, it's a 21". Rides great, but with 2 other mountain bikes it only gets used for the commute and I want to shave a few minutes off so I can sleep in a bit more :-D
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    As you've upgraded it quite significantly I'd be inclined to split, bigger potential market.
  • agg25
    Yeah was thinking that, the only thing left original is the frame :-)
  • Sad Boy
    Sad Boy Posts: 51
    Thats a very nice bike what dose it weigh now?... Im a Rockhopper fan love to get mine to 25lb

Seems a shame but maybe split
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    If original bits then I'd say sell whole but definitely split with the bits you have. Parts like headset bundle with the frame, buyer will want them and saves being left with bits leftover
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    You'll certainly get more money splitting..........

IF

You can sell it all.

That said, I can't see you having an issue selling any of the bits you've listed if the prices are right. But you do need to be prepared for the long-run.

You also need to remember to factor in the extra cost of shipping the bits seperately.

And (this may sound obvious but) try to avoid splitting items like brakes, gears, wheels etc. You stand more of a chance of shifting them in pairs.

If you're in a rush, sell whole and take the hit, if you're happy to wait, sell seperately.