Wells to Bristol Commute?

cheddarpaul
cheddarpaul Posts: 126
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Afternoon all
I will be moving to Wells soon and wondered about commuting in to the centre of Bristol. I am not too concerned about the distance as I wont be doing it every day. However, I know the roads between Wells and Bristol arent too great for cyclist.
The A39 is a very busy road with lots of turns and corners so I am not sure I would feel comfortable doing the whole distance on there.
Another option is to take the Old Bristol Rd in to Chew Magna and then straight in over the top of Dundry Hill, to Bedminster and then the town. However, as well as a b*stard of a hill right in the middle, these roads are narrow and unlit so again I wouldnt feel comfortable not knowing whats around the corner.

Does anyone have any ideas - either to commute the whole distance or drive part of the way in to Bristol and then do the rest on the bike?
Boardman Team Comp
Boardman CX Team
Boardman Full Suss Pro
Brick Lane fixie
Genesis Day One

Comments

• gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Ha, that would be one helluva of commute doing old Bristol and Dundry before work! But I see your problem, its either busy or Hilly/narrow whichever way you go.

A slightly flatter but longer mix would be do the A39 as far as chewton mendip and then along the B1114 to harptree, past Chew lake to Chew magna, jump on the B3130 past winford to A38, the you can either A38 that bit straight in as not too bad , or cut across toward Barrow Gurney and through Long Ashton?

Either way...its a good ol ride!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    The "Exmouth Exodus" route is very pleasant
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Another option is along the bottom of Cheddar Gorge into Axbridge and up the Strawberry Line to Yatton - Nailsea Railway Line Path and Long Ashton.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.