Rear bike rack for 03 Honda Civid (3 Door)

Lemmy316
Lemmy316 Posts: 15
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Does anyone know of a rear bike rack that will fit a 2003 3 door Honda Civic hatchback?

I've searched and it seems nigh on impossible to find a suitable one. I thought the Saris Bones 2 or 3 might do the trick but apparently it's no good for the 3 door but is good for the 5 door (don't know what the major difference is).

The good people at The Roof Box Company advised that any rear mounted rack would not be suitable for my car and that I'd need pricey roof bars or a tow bar, both of which are out of my price range at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Erm, why would it being a 3 door rather than 5 door make any difference whatsoever when you're placing the rack on the rear door.

Which is exactly the same with the 2 models.
  • Lemmy316
    Exactly. I posed this very question to Andy from Roof Box and received the following reply.....

Good afternoon Jim,

Unfortunately we do not have the details as to why the Saris Bones will fit the five door Civic but not the three door model. This difference is also noted in Saris' latest European application guide, so clearly during their thorough product tests they have discovered some issue that prevents the carrier from fitting the three door version. If you have any further queries, please contact us.

Kind regards

Andy

The Roof Box Company

So it would seem they aren't exactly the same! Why? No one knows! Million $ question it would appear!!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I'd say that just means they didn't bother testing on a 3 door so can't guarantee it'll work so don't list it as compatable in the literature. All about ar$e covering. I bet it's not listed as incompatable, should fit ok. My LBS was willing to try the display models on a mates care when he was buying his, could be worth asking.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Lemmy316
    oodboo wrote:
    I'd say that just means they didn't bother testing on a 3 door so can't guarantee it'll work so don't list it as compatable in the literature. All about ar$e covering. I bet it's not listed as incompatable, should fit ok. My LBS was willing to try the display models on a mates care when he was buying his, could be worth asking.

Yeah I would tend to agree with you there. I think roof box may have been trying to capitalise from this omission by Saris Bones in order to liberate my from several hundred of my hard earned's!

I think I'll do as you suggest and ask if I can try one out. Failing that their must be something suitable for fixing to me car. If not it'll just have to go in the back with the seats down on some tarp.
  • Fallsalot
    Fallsalot Posts: 23
    Sounds obvious, but got down a larger halfords as they will test fit before you buy.

If I remember correctly the 03 civic has the random spoiler in the middle of the rear screen? If that is the right car I can see it being an issue as the rack would end up putting pressure in the centre of the glass. Of coyrse, if its the wedge shape civic the 3 & 5 doors do have slightly different rear end profiles.
  • Lemmy316
  • Fallsalot
    Ok, the better shape one then.

There are slight differences between the models, it could be down to the little spioiler, all racks i've looked at have said spoilers can be damaged by the mounting straps.

As I said try halfords, even if only to find one thst fits then look online for a better deal.
  • Lemmy316
    I see now, 5 door doesn't have the pointless spoiler at the top of the rear window.....

http://images.lchcars.co.uk/vehicles/ho ... 40x480.jpg

Although looking at the cars on my street, most of the newer hatchbacks have this lip spoiler at the top of the window, in varing makes and models.

Back seats down it is then, or convince the missus to use her motor (If a bike rack would fit that!).
  • Fallsalot
    Whats the mrs got car wise? Seats down is better than a rack, less fuel usage and,much more secure. I've heard of bikes being taken off racks at traffic lights and petrol stations before.
  • Lemmy316
    She's got a Hyundai i30 hatchback 2010 model.

Yeah seats down is definitely more secure against theft and the bike or bikes falling off when driving. It does limit passengers in the car though, so wouldn't be able to fit the 2 boys in the back seat with the bike in.

I'll have to have a think about this. Don't fancy a tow bar nor would I fancy driving with upright bikes on the roof.

I've just been driving on M1 to Leeds and saw a car which had the spoiler lip on ant it had a rack on with 2 bikes on flying down the motorway. I'll just have to look around I reckon.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Try Civinfo forums, there have been many discussions on such racks.

In short the issues usually are with the pressure that may be put on the glass. Though the old style Civics aren't as bad as the new ones where the glass goes right to the hinge point and the straps of such a rack definitely put pressure on the glass. In my case (08 Civic), Honda say no and same with the rack manufacturers and that's enough to invalidate the warranty and any insurance claim if I did put one on there. Went through this as had one I used on my 206 but it's no go on the Civic.

The older models look like they may work better as hinge is further back. Not sure about the silly spoiler lip though. Probably would snap off.

I have same issue anyway, can't use hatchback racks, I don't like roof racks (fuel drag, can't get under low barriers at car parks), don't like getting a tow bar, and bikes outside are a big advert saying "expensive bikes, follow me home!". Just me generally so go inside the car, though it's scratched up bad now as a result and full of mud despite a sheet to cover things.
  • wvbarnes
    wvbarnes Posts: 4
    I bet it's not listed as incompatable, should fit ok. My LBS was willing to try the display models on a mates care when he was buying his, could be worth asking. g.php
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    wvbarnes wrote:
    I bet it's not listed as incompatable, should fit ok. My LBS was willing to try the display models on a mates care when he was buying his, could be worth asking. g.php
    Couldn't have said it better myself, oh wait, that's exactly what I said.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Lemmy316
    I got this reply from Evans Cycles....

Yes this will fot your 03 civic just fine.
    1 hour ago
    EvansCyclesCCDaveJ

I would comment on Dave's misspelling of the word fit and how I might not necessarily trust someone who makes such a basic spelling error as competent - But then I'd have to ask myself what the hell a Honda Civid is!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    oodboo wrote:
    wvbarnes wrote:
    Couldn't have said it better myself, oh wait, that's exactly what I said.
    I think it's a failed spambot - did the same thing on four threads.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Lemmy316 wrote:
    I see now, 5 door doesn't have the pointless spoiler at the top of the rear window.....

http://images.lchcars.co.uk/vehicles/ho ... 40x480.jpg

Although looking at the cars on my street, most of the newer hatchbacks have this lip spoiler at the top of the window, in varing makes and models.

Back seats down it is then, or convince the missus to use her motor (If a bike rack would fit that!).

I doubt the spoiler being there would make any difference, the end of the frame of the rack would fit under it/rest up against it and the straps would go over it?
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I have a Pendle Strap On rack that clears the spoiler of my Civic (05). However I can't fit the side straps due to the boot lid shape, it would probably be secure enough with just the upper and lower straps IMO.

To be honest I can't be arsed with the faff of fitting a lighting socket for the board. Plus as mentioned more secure in car and better MPG too.

Also with the rack sitting on the window and the rear wiper coming on automatically when in reverse is just gonna cause a lot of damage too.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    I used to have a Type R in that shape, the spoiler never got in the way of a rack, so long as you go for a high mount option with straps that are level, or slightly higher than the roof. To be honest, the Halfords High-Mount model has always done me fine.