Installing an E-13 SRS chainguide kit, crank/spacer question

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Alright gents,

Just installed the E-13 SRS kit below
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251105621175? ... 1497.l2649

Only minor issue is that if i installed with just the ISCG bracket installed instead of the BB spacer(73mm so 1 drive side spacer on a Shimano HT II setup) the back of the cranks rub on the indside edge of the back-plate.

So if i install a 2.5mm spacer on the BB along with the ISCG05 bracket, it all works like a dream. Chainline is perfect and no rubbing on the guides etc.

My only question is, is it OK to add in the extra width of the ISCG plate and it all be OK ? It's only 2mm or 2.5mm wider, but should be fine shouldn't it ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as it is a Shimano set up yes you can but as the axle will not be as far into the non drive crank keep an eye on it.

but pics of how you have it would be good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • weeksy59
    Hopefully these show it well.

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg
  • weeksy59
    Looking at the gaps i could probably install a smaller spacer instead if need be, just to drop it back a smidgen if that's too much extra length ? It may make the rear guide rub the chain the the largest cog on the rear, but may not... it will be close... i have about 1mm maybe at the moment.
  • weeksy59
    OK, managed to fit a 1mm (instad of 2mm ish) spacer in instead. Just about misses on the guides and runs smooth as silk.
  • nicklouse
    It should be fine. But some questions.

What is the ring? A shimano 32 T what?

Is it a 10spd ring and crankset?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • weeksy59
    It's a 32T Shimao Deore as per crankset.

10 Speed running a 10 speed HGX Shimano chain

10 Speed Shimano cassette.

Why the questions dude ?

You thinking the bottom chainguide jockey wheel is 9 speed only ?
  • nicklouse
    I was just thinking if it was fitted correctly or/and if fitting it the other way around. As it does look a bit "fat".

As it looks like it is only rubbing on th lifting shapes on thr ring face.
  • weeksy59
    nicklouse wrote:
    I was just thinking if it was fitted correctly or/and if fitting it the other way around. As it does look a bit "fat".

As it looks like it is only rubbing on th lifting shapes on thr ring face.

Errrrrrm Dunno man. I'll have a looky tomorrow, don't think i'll get a chance today, would a pic without the bash-ring help ?
  • nicklouse
    Not really.

Mose of a abing a think and what I would be doing if it was mine. But as you are running a single I would look to a single specific ring next.

An why such a big bash? You just end up with rubbing o a James chain unless they have put a big chamfer on it.

If it is working now just use it.
  • weeksy59
    Just looked, i think it's deffo on the right wasy round. the Dyna sys and HG-X only logos are on the outside face and it's ridged/stepped on the outside as much as on the inside.

Same as this one

$(KGrHqJ,!ioE9c+bl,)sBPfIOqvNQ!~~60_12.JPG

That's my outside face.
  • weeksy59
    the answer as to "why such a big bash"

Can only be answered with simple economics. The SRS kit came up for £41 on ebay BRAND NEW... they're £129.99 RRP.. so i went for it.

I've been running a Superstar seat-tube mounted one for the last few weeks on single ring.

I wasn't aware they did a middle specific ring. However, i'll now go searching and spend a bit more cash.

Thanks for all the help/advice.