No Bargains

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Since every on-line bike retailer has used the excuse of the TdF (and Wiggo) to assault my in-box with TdF-related "offers", I'm surprised that the "Bragains Spotted" thread hasn't been more active. In fact, the "Gear I've Bought" thread hasn't actually been on fire. What does that tell us about the TdF promos? All rubbish? Or are we just now used to paying discounted prices?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    It's not bonus time yet, and it isn't the year to be buying tarty wheels?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    I think we''re just used to it- i can't remember the last time i bought something without some discount on it. And i sure as hell have never paid RRP online for anything. In fact, I reckon the RRP is inflated by manufacturers in order to make the inevitable discount look better- seems obvious really doesn't it.

Makes me feel sorry for all those LBSs having to charge full retail price as there's no way they can compete with the giants like chain reaction.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Online retailers do have lower overheads than LBSs though. No need for a shop front is the main one. Why spend big money on a high street shop with items laid out so that customers can see them all easily when you can have a warehouse somewhere and fill it to bursting with boxes on high density shelving units.

I guess RRP is based on what a shop should sell the product for (taking the overheads of a shop into account and giving the shop a decent profit margin). Online retailers have lower overheads, so even keeping the same profit margin, they can sell for less.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Unfortunately for them I have all I need and am now getting scarily close to having all I want. :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    daviesee wrote:
    Unfortunately for them I have all I need and am now getting scarily close to having all I want. :shock:
    I'm selling 3 of 5 bikes :cry:
    It's temporary though, simply making space for better bikes in future, and the Langster will be funding wheels for the Condor :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Tricycleboy
    daviesee wrote:

In which case i think you should take this opportunity to buy me some things that i want- shall we start with a Look 695- a snip at £6300 on JE James? Just don't want you to feel that you've got nothing left to spend your money on :D
  • Tricycleboy
    dhope wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    It's temporary though, simply making space for better bikes in future, and the Langster will be funding wheels for the Condor :twisted:

Could be interested in a langster (or preferably just the frame) if the price is right so PM me when you're selling. I might need something to keep me on the road while Davisee organises delivery of my 695.
  • meanredspider
    I think I've demonstrated the corollary to "Buy Cheap - Buy Twice" in that I've bought the best I can afford and feel no need to buy much else. 3 years into regular commuting and I have the Volagi for most of the year and a Cube Reaction Race for MTB/ice. I'm fully kitted out mostly with Assos that performs brilliantly and seems to last forever. I've even found a pair of shoes that fit me. Upgrades are hard to find (without being silly) - about the only two things I can see me doing eventually are sticking carbon wheels on the V and equipping it with hydraulic brakes - both complete bling...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dhope wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Could be interested in a langster (or preferably just the frame) if the price is right so PM me when you're selling. I might need something to keep me on the road while Davisee organises delivery of my 695.
    Have a buyer for the Langster nearby (just need to put the bike back together). Have a 53cm Gary Fisher Triton though if you're looking for something fixed.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    daviesee wrote:

In which case i think you should take this opportunity to buy me some things that i want- shall we start with a Look 695- a snip at £6300 on JE James? Just don't want you to feel that you've got nothing left to spend your money on :D
    I am also into HiFi & photography. My spending will just be moving into a new area unfortunately for you.
    A Nikon D800 and probably some new FF lenses wouldn't be far off that 695. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I have to say that a lot of the time the so called bargains are just a discount of some mythical RRP that no-one with some basic Google skills would ever pay. Now and again there is a genuine clearance or promotion, but that's probably only a minority of posts.

Personally I'd ban RRP or any variant completely. It would be far better for consumers if manufacturers couldn't lean on retailers for under-pricing.
  • meanredspider
    davmaggs wrote:
    I have to say that a lot of the time the so called bargains are just a discount of some mythical RRP that no-one with some basic Google skills would ever pay. Now and again there is a genuine clearance or promotion, but that's probably only a minority of posts.

Personally I'd ban RRP or any variant completely. It would be far better for consumers if manufacturers couldn't lean on retailers for under-pricing.

I've found Ribble particularly sharp on their "discounted" price. For sure, always Google the prices before believing what you read.
  • Tricycleboy
    dhope wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Have a buyer for the Langster nearby (just need to put the bike back together). Have a 53cm Gary Fisher Triton though if you're looking for something fixed.

Thanks- think it might be a bit small for me, and i was hoping you had the Alu one as my steel SS weighs about as much us my house.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    also perfectly happy with my bike nothing to buy. Started looking at some winter clothing though. Holiday and a bunch of birthdays contend with first though.
    In regards to rrp, or was price, Thats just a made up number the product was sold at for 24 hours some time in the last 3 months. Means nothing to me. It only a deal relative to what I have in the bank, not against some mythical pricing system.