Do you ever wish you could quit?

richardjiles
richardjiles Posts: 137
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Don't get me wrong I bloody love to mountain bike, wish I could do it all the time, but when I look at all the disadvantages it has, I mean it costs so much compared to other sports, and I'm forever having mechanical problems, take a look at footballers, a ball costs like 5 pounds and a full kit like 50 - 100, but you really dont need the kit, but with biking its like 350 for the cheapest bike, and then you still have to maintain it!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    So give up, no one's making you do it.

I do it because it's fun and I enjoy it. Yes it can be depressing when you break things, but it's one of those things. Commute by bike, then you save a fortune, and it can be offset against such things!
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I find the buying new bits and fixing old bits half the fun. Would probably get bored quicker if there wasn't always something that needed fixing/adjusting/replacing.

As njee said, commute and you save more than you spend. I am saving £250-300 a month by not owning a car. Definitely not spending that much on bikes.

You can't replace your car with a football.
  • crispy1980
    crispy1980 Posts: 310
    i must admit when we started we all thought biking would be a nice cheap hobby, WRONG! i always shop round and buy cheap and both bikes have been second hand but in the last 9months ive already spent just over £1000. BUT ive lost just over two stone and feel much better for it, and have done this whilst having fun, what more can you ask for?
    the only thing that does sometimes make me question it is when a mate injures himself. i do then think is it worth the risk? but that doesnt last long.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Don't get me wrong I bloody love to mountain bike, wish I could do it all the time, but when I look at all the disadvantages it has, I mean it costs so much compared to other sports, and I'm forever having mechanical problems, take a look at footballers, a ball costs like 5 pounds and a full kit like 50 - 100, but you really dont need the kit, but with biking its like 350 for the cheapest bike, and then you still have to maintain it!

It depends how you look at it. You can spend £150 just on a pair of footy boots if you want. But like your more expensive biking gear, it doesn't make you any better at it. You could argue that a lot of riders don't need a lot of the kit they have I guess.

The majority of sports can be as cheap or as expensive as you want.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I've never wanted to 'quit'. But if I did then I just would.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    What an odd OP.

Just quit if you want to, why would expensive kit be a factor? It doesn't have to be expensive, you can do it and enjoy it for reasonable sums of money.

I consider any expense to be worth it to do what I enjoy. I used to spend too much on it, but have found now i have have decent kit, it's lasting well and my expenses are minimal (or whimsical :lol: )

There are a fair few other sports and other hobbies which are more expensive.
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Fitness, exploring the great outdoors, adrenaline, overcoming your fears / mental challenges, nice kit and gadgets, camaraderie. No other activity I can think of gives you all these things.

It's fookin great! :D

Like the cack advert for shampoo says - I'm worth it!
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No.

Anyway, not all other sports are cheap. Horsey types spend a fortune, as do golfers (and they get compartively little exercise). Even football if you're seriously into it doing, it's more than just kit and a ball, it's transport to venues, subscription fees, food and quite likely a large monthly cost down the gym, personal trainer, etc.

In fact just think of it like that - cost of a bike and riding each week vs the cost of gym membership and transport to/from said gym and cost of being laid up at home when you catch the various colds from other unfit people in said sweaty gym.

Anyway, could be worse and you have photography as a hobby. Oh wait, I have that too :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You could take up walking as a hobby. Then all you need is an internet connection and a box of tissues.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    The box of tissues is a luxury if you're on a budget.
  • Twelly
    I find a good pair of walking socks is a worthwhile purchase.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    TwellySmat wrote:
    You do a lot of walking then?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Twelly
    Oh yes, I walk everywhere. I walk at home and I walk around the office most days. Just couldn't do it without my trusty walking socks.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    crispy1980 wrote:
    i must admit when we started we all thought biking would be a nice cheap hobby, WRONG!

Isn't everything? I've got MTBing, skiing and fishing to fund, added to that I'm starting looking into a PADI dive course so thats 4 expensive hobbies.

I'm using the F word as an excuse to start the 4th one though.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • EH_Rob
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Oh yes, I walk everywhere. I walk at home and I walk around the office most days. Just couldn't do it without my trusty walking socks.

In the summer I find walking socks to be a little bit sweaty, but I dare not try walking in sandals as my feet might get wet.

The best piece of walking apparatus I own is my trusty walking pole - it provides me with a reliable way to stay upright on those tricky sections that we all find difficult to manage.

The last thing you want is instability whilst undertaking a tricky walk.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Cheaper than golf and you look less of a tit.

mtb can be as cheap as you want it to be. If money is a problem then get an entry level hardtail and with a bit of oil now and then it'll run for years.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:
    You do a lot of walking then?

It's wasted on them.
  • Twelly
    EH_Rob wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:

In the summer I find walking socks to be a little bit sweaty, but I dare not try walking in sandals as my feet might get wet.

The best piece of walking apparatus I own is my trusty walking pole - it provides me with a reliable way to stay upright on those tricky sections that we all find difficult to manage.

I walked my dog once.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    crispy1980 wrote:
    i must admit when we started we all thought biking would be a nice cheap hobby, WRONG!

Isn't everything? I've got MTBing, skiing and fishing to fund, added to that I'm starting looking into a PADI dive course so thats 4 expensive hobbies.
    All hobbies are expensive if you end up a bit obsessive.
    I've spent a fortune on my bike and related things like tools, and on snowboarding, and also photography.
    But I enjoy all of it. I work so that I have money TO spend on such things. What else is it good for?
  • EH_Rob
    TwellySmat wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:

I walked my dog once.

Most dogs love a good walk. It's when you start walking other peoples dogs that the problems start.
  • Twelly
    It is surprisingly difficult to find other people who enjoy walking their dog. I think like-minded people should be able to meet up and walk each others dogs regularly. As long as you clear up after your dog, dog-walking can be a very sociable experience.

Never try to walk a cat though. They do not like it.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299

Oh course you can quit but what would you do instead? Do more walking?

Not really a good comparison, as football isn't something you can do a lone, kicking a ball against a wall gets boring quickly! (unlike walking)

I use to play football but found it more time intensive usually took up the whole Saturday (and no car for wife) and was even more frustrating if you didn't play, a whole day basically wasted and you had to be committed if you wanted to play, can't just decide not to go one Saturday for the sake of it. Then there is training to commit to as well. Also there's the fuel costs, membership costs, game/ref costs, drinking costs but yeah sure kit was cheap compared to a bike.

Mtbing allows me to go out when it suits me and that can be under an hour, as I'm lucky my local woods is a 10 minute ride or I can make it a full weekend away if I wanted. I can go out on my own or meet up with some friends, as a hobby it's a lot more flexible and easy to get into.

Sometimes you may forget the advantages to mtbing compared to other sports as they also have their flaws.

Just be glad you don't do MX!
  • EH_Rob
    TwellySmat wrote:
    It is surprisingly difficult to find other people who enjoy walking their dog. I think like-minded people should be able to meet up and walk each others dogs regularly. As long as you clear up after your dog, dog-walking can be a very sociable experience.

I salute you for your conscientious approach to walking. I've seen people walking ferrets before, very odd. Although not as odd as the TV show 'Walking With Dinosaurs'.

When walking your dog you have to be careful to make sure you don't accidentally end up with your balls stuck somewhere you can't easily retrieve them. I always used to get them stuck in some poor unsuspecting old ladies prickly bush, and although she was amused at first by my escapades she rapidly became irritated.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    EH_Rob wrote:
    When walking your dog you have to be careful to make sure you don't accidentally end up with your balls stuck somewhere you can't easily retrieve them. I always used to get them stuck in some poor unsuspecting old ladies prickly bush, and although she was amused at first by my escapades she rapidly became irritated.
    I'ver got tears of laughter streaming down my face - that is just... genius. :lol:
  • anj132
    EH_Rob wrote:

sick0006.gif
  • TwellySmat wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:

I walked my dog once.

The other thing about walking is that you tend not to get as much muck sprayed in your mouth as you would when riding, which is odd. also for some reason i tend to find i dont get any birds crapping on me when walking, whereas when riding i seem to get birds pooping on me regularly. Perhaps its the places I go to ride?

Dont get me started about walking in groups.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • Twelly
    EH_Rob wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:

I salute you for your conscientious approach to walking. I've seen people walking ferrets before, very odd. Although not as odd as the TV show 'Walking With Dinosaurs'.

Oh dear... you win sir, bravo!

anj132, FTFY
    anj132 wrote:

I use to walk but found it more time intensive usually took up the whole Saturday (and no need for a for wife) and was even more frustrating if you didn't walk, a whole day basically wasted and you had to be committed if you wanted to walk, can't just decide not to walk one Saturday for the sake of it. Then there is training to commit to as well. Also there's the sock costs, tissue costs, internet costs, dog costs but yeah sure kit was cheap compared to a bike.
  • anj132
    TwellySmat wrote:

anj132, FTFY
    anj132 wrote:

I use to walk but found it more time intensive usually took up the whole Saturday (and no need for a for wife) and was even more frustrating if you didn't walk, a whole day basically wasted and you had to be committed if you wanted to walk, can't just decide not to walk one Saturday for the sake of it. Then there is training to commit to as well. Also there's the sock costs, tissue costs, internet costs, dog costs but yeah sure kit was cheap compared to a bike.

lol! quality
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160

try owning a fast motor

that will soon put the cost of running a bike in perspective for you

£350 barely covered the cost of my brake discs when i owned the RS...
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    I love walking in public places, I like to see how quick i can walk whilst not reaching where I'm going. Often people just stop and stare in wonder as I pound along to my own rhythm, but i don't care who's watching why else would I walk in public? The only thing with maintaining such a pace is all the creams I have to use to avoid blistering, never want to get a nasty blister whilst walking.