M785 XT - Rotors?

cameronb
cameronb Posts: 102
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm replacing the elixir 3s on my hardtail with some XTs, as far as I can see no where sells them with rotors as a complete set. What I want to know is what rotors are best suited with these, or what people use with them. Ive got avid hs1 200/180 rotors with the current set up. I like the saint ones but don't know if they're just priced like they are because they're from the saint range. And also, for anyone that uses the XTs at the minute, will I see a big difference from the elixirs? Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`ve seen mixed reports on the ice tech rotors and whether or not you would actually notice the suposed benefits.

RT76 rotors look nice and are noticeably stiifer then RT 75s though both in my experience work just fine.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I got a 180mm RT76 rotor for the front when I bought the brakes, so don't actually have anything to compare it to directly. I also run those fancy finned pads on the front.

On the rear I run a 160mm Superstar rotor, and superstar kevlar pads (I removed the finned pads the rear came with to save for the front as they're not cheap to replace). The performance is still excellent, miles more power and modulation than my old system. More than enough for the rear.

I'd say you don't need the rotors if you don't want to spend the money, but as you're spending the money upgrading the brakes, why not try one on the front?

Either way, you won't be disappointed by the brakes.
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Highly recommend the RT-76 rotor. Very stiff. Been running it for well over a year now and it's as true as the day I fitted it.

• andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    I have just switched from Elixir 3's to M785 XT's.

You will certainly notice the difference. Far better lever feel. Vastly increased braking power and control. I don't think you will regret it. :)
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd buy some Formula RXs. £198 on Merlin with rotors.
  • cameronb
    cameronb Posts: 102
    Thanks for all your replys guys, I've gone for two RT 76 rotors, 200/180 like my old set up. I did see the formulas on merlin chunkers, but the black ones only come with 2x160 rotors, so would have had to buy extra anyway. The white formulas come with 200 rotors, but I think I'd already made the decision to get the XTs after what I've been told about them by a couple of mates and read about on here. Surprised as to what some sets of elixir 3s have gone for on fleabay so might even nearly recover half of what I've paid :D
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Hmm, bit late now I guess, but I was going to say you could just stick with the rotors you had.