New ( second hand ) fork for my Heckler ?

prowbiker
prowbiker Posts: 43
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Seeking advice on a new ( second hand ) fork for my Heckler 2006....

Currently running a Manitou Nixon Elite 2005-6 tpc+ with 20mm axle which has suffered loss of compression adjust and more recently height adjust ( stuck in 160 which is no issue really ) but still runs v.plush and sooo predictable etc...still love it :oops:

Will a Fox 36 160 fork be a decent like for like choice ? I see them selling for £2-300 on ebay...orrrrr what others ??

Got up to £300-400 to spend and want plush/light/160/worthy of my excellent Heckler.....etc :lol:

Any ideas/advice most welcome folks :?:
Santa Cruz Heckler 2006

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends whether the one you buy is fubared or not. Considered some professional help for your Manitou, seeing as you love it and know where it's been.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • prowbiker
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends whether the one you buy is fubared or not. Considered some professional help for your Manitou, seeing as you love it and know where it's been.

Understand the sentiment friend....but really do want a change, been through TF and even they couldnt sort the compression, but sorted it to run on regardless.

No...its time for a change....but I really dont want to buy a new fork for a 6 year old ( non tapered etc ) bike...even if it is a keeper ( and it is :wink: )

Maybe ebay isnt the wisest place to look ?
    Santa Cruz Heckler 2006
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah, tricky with forks. Can be a minefield, and they're stupidly expensive.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    An older marzocchi 55 (or maybe 66) would seem about right for the Heckler.

Something like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-55- ... _500wt_967

Suprised TF couldn't fix the compression on the Manitou.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Newer Marzocchi are good but anything to old are generally not that reliable.
  • mrmonkfinger
    Newer Marzocchi are good but anything to old are generally not that reliable.

I thought it was the 2008 year that had trouble, and the older italian made forks are generally awesome?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I wouldn't buy used Fox, they do require a good bit of maintenance, and I'm not sure I'd trust a used one.
    Also 66s would be too big for that frame, but some of the newer 55s are nice.

Personally, I'd go for either some brand new Rockshox Revelations or Sektors, both can be had for £3-400 notes depending what you want, and they're very good forks.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go for Rockshox Lyriks or Domains, both are more solid than Fox forks, the Domains last forever.
    Revelations & Sektors are ok if you don't mind loosing 10mm travel & loosing a bit of stability & front end stiffness.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    An older marzocchi 55 (or maybe 66) would seem about right for the Heckler.

Something like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-55- ... _500wt_967

Suprised TF couldn't fix the compression on the Manitou.
    NO!
    Those are among the most problematic fu**ers. Definitely avoid any ATA or ATA2 Marzocchi forks.
    (He says he's changed them to coil - but the damping side was bloody crap in them as well)

Buying forks second hand is a minefield, regardless of what make they are. Chances are you'll need to get them serviced anyway.
    If you can get hold of a good set, then Fox 36s are fantastic forks, very stiff and fantastic damping - but like I said, whatever you get, budget in a full service for second hand forks.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I would go for Rockshox Lyriks or Domains, both are more solid than Fox forks, the Domains last forever.
    Revelations & Sektors are ok if you don't mind loosing 10mm travel & loosing a bit of stability & front end stiffness.
    Bit big/heavy for a heckler, it's a 150mm trail bike.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • prowbiker
    Thanks for the replies fellas, think may look at Rev/Reba now....
    Of those two, which particular models would you recommend ?
    Santa Cruz Heckler 2006
  • mrmonkfinger
    (He says he's changed them to coil - but the damping side was bloody crap in them as well)

I presume the TST cartridges not good then?