How long should beginners rest

dazzlers82
dazzlers82 Posts: 50
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I no every body is slightly different but if like me your just starting out riding, I started last month an two days ago done a 38 mile ride as well as the 3 miles commuting, so how long should I rest for my legs ached yesterday an I can still feel them now but nowhere near as bad???
Scott speedster 20 compact 2013
Claud butler san remo 2012

Comments

• ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    you will just learn with time and will improve. i did 53 miles sat and had 2 11 mile rides on sunday which i would never had considered after a ride like that saturday. i have only ridden once since though but the local sportive is saturday so save my legs now.

plus you don't always need a total rest your 3 mile commute can be very gentile, i am starting to commute next week and will be taking it very steady.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Its not so much about rest... as building up the distances gradually.

Eg You could do 10 miles 6 days a week quite easily.... But you may run into problems if you start trying to do 4x 40 miles a week as a beginner.

You've got to find the balance that works for you.

Be cautious though.. you'll run into injury problems if you over-train.
  • dazzlers82
    dazzlers82 Posts: 50
    Thanks for the answers I had already been doin 10- 20 miles on my turbo for a few weeks as I do 24 hr call every other week so can't ride away from home, I also done my first 20 mile ride on my last early week so when I went out Tuesday only planned on doin another 20 but when I was out I thought no ill push another 5 miles but I got to that an decided I may as well go for another 5 as felt good the ride home was hard as its very up an down not major inclines but enough for me and the win was against me but I did feel very good when I got back to my rode.
    Scott speedster 20 compact 2013
    Claud butler san remo 2012