Wiggo Sportive / Pendle Predator

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited August 2012 in Road general
Has anyone got the route from last years Pendle Predator 100mile one? Looking at doing it this year but its been re-named as the Wiggins Challenge ( or something like that ). Takes place 19th August. I'm after knowing which way they would go up Nick O Pendle as I've heard its a bit of a climb and worse than Jubilee Hill Tower.
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    No but heres this years.

http://www.bradleywigginsfoundation.org ... &Itemid=28

I only found out about this sportive last night, while i was watching the Colne Grand Prix. Little bit annoyed really as i'm signed up for the York 100, but i only live a couple of miles from the start/finish of the Wiggins sportive.

Oh well never mind
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    No the wiggins sportive is something else

the old pendle predator is now the Lancashire Hotpot run by kilotogo

http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?optio ... vent_id=46
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    For a cheap ride round that area as well there is the Bill Bradley ride this sunday - organised by southport cc and starting from preston - entry on the day at 8£ plus quite a few coffee stops.

http://www.southportcc.co.uk/EventsBillBradleyRide.html

if you're round that way give it a go - its fun.
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    I'm only about an hours drive from Preston, but unfortunately i'm working Sunday.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    Cleat, cheers for the info, where do you get it all from ?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Has anyone got the route from last years Pendle Predator 100mile one? Looking at doing it this year but its been re-named as the Wiggins Challenge ( or something like that ). Takes place 19th August. I'm after knowing which way they would go up Nick O Pendle as I've heard its a bit of a climb and worse than Jubilee Hill Tower.

It's not climbs like Nick of Pendle or Jubilee Tower on that route that are the toughies. It's all the little ones plus Barley Lane just when you think you deserve to be cruising downhill into Barnoldswick. Nick of Pendle was actually quite pleasant. The route did it West to East so you have the nasty unexpected 1 in 6 out of Sabden before you've even rested from the Nick.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    Thanks Rolf, you did warn me about those `other` hills. On Saturday we rode through Whalley and picked up the route with about 20 miles to go so that included Nick O Pendle which wasn't too bad, but boy are those that follow killers. Short-ish but very steep and then you've got decent descents which are spoiled by trees blocking the sunlight so you can't see where you're going or those mud on the road. And then you hit Barley Lane which is a long steady slog.
    But the main thing is we managed all the hills and it was our longest ride to date of 70miles with just under 6000 feet of climbing so pretty happy.
    We've now signed up for the Wiggo Challenge and I'm sure that we'll be absolutely knackered afterwards.

Wonder if I send Wiggo a bungy chord, he'll tow me around!

• MARKF
    MARKF Posts: 29
    I've entered this,it's my first sportive & after looking at how much ascent is on the route I've entered the 100km route!
    I've been doing rides up to 73 miles & 3308 ft of climbing around West Lancs & I'm wondering if my gearing will get me round the route.Bikes a 2010 spesh Allez compact 50x34 with a 9 speed 12-25 cassette,the sharpest hill I can find is 15% & I'm getting up that but I'm on the lowest gear.Would I be better going to a 27 tooth cassette?
  • We are on the 100mile one which will be my furthest distance ridden and also amount climbed. Doing this as training for it tomorrow morning - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1514710. Just like you Mark F this is my first sportive too! Your gearing isn't too different to mine and I've ridden the hills from Nick O Pendle onwards to the end of the 60mile route. Yes it is tough towards the end, some very steep but relatively short climbs as I've previously mentioned. Waddington Fell is a good climb too!
    I'm not sure what you class as West Lancs - is it Liverpool Skem way?

• As Rolf said it's not really the named climbs that are the problem it's the short little one sin between so the lower the better. I'm doing the 100miler on with 34/28 as the lowest gearing. I rode round parbold hill - skem way in preparation for the cheshire cat, what I found helped was hill repeats on the hill on bannister lane (just off chorley road) behind parbold hill. it's about 14% but its a more constant climb than say, parbold hill. I used to do 2 on a the second to lowest gear and the last on the lowest gear. Try the climb up sandersons lane too (if you're in the are that is) -again steady climb and not too long.
  • MARKF
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm in Ormskirk & I've been doing a loop up to 73 miles on which the two steepest hills I encounter are what's known as Billinge Lump,where you go from Crank to Billinge ( signposted 15%) & long heys lane( the narrow country lane that brings you out between the 2 pubs on Ashurst Beacon),there's no gradient sign on that one but I end up on the bottom gear on the cassette.I think I might order a chain & lower cassette sharpish,then again I could try & bodge my 11-34 mountainbike cassette !
    Cleat, I'll give the hill repeats a go,I know where Bannister Lane is so I'll incorporate that into my next loop.I spend a lot of my current loop doing various ascents of Ashurst Beacon,I'll just move on to the hills around Parbold as I extend the loop.
    thanks, MarkF
  • Long heys lane is a git - thats the one where you have to basically off road to get to the foot of it - if you managed that ok then I'd say at its steepest its way steeper than the steepest on the brad ride - so you should be ok.. The billinge hill is tougher than the bannister lane one (its also called hunters hill). If you're doing the billinge one and can find a nice rhythm you should be ok - i passed one fella last week who's chain snapped on billinge lump - just at the steepest bit - eek.

By the way its so much easier going up with someones wheel to follow, why not pop along to a harry middletons ride on sunday mornings at 9. If you ask they'd probably try and find a hill or two.

By teh way have a look at the Bike Radar Strava club - viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=12867807

theres a guy there called rory who I noticed did hill repeats (7 or 9 i think) of stoney lane - just up the road from bannister lane - thats gonna be on my pre brad prep next week. Good luck anyway - and on the day look for a super fit well toned athlete......and i'll be right behind him getting a tow. :D
  • MARKF
    Thanks for the reply Cleat,after reading your post I'll leave the gearing alone.You're right about Long Heys Lane being tough,I was just worried that as I struggle up it, I'm on the bottom gear in places & if there's anywhere steeper on the Wiggo route I'd be in trouble :shock:
    I got talking to a bloke the other week at the top of Billinge lump after we'd both gone up it & he reckoned it was the sharpest incline in the area,I was on the bottom sprocket again..
    I asked at Middletons about joining their sunday runs and they said yes no problem,just get there for 9am.They seem friendly,I'll get down there sometime.
    Next weekend I'll do a route with at least 3 ascents of Long Heys Lane as practice,should be quite focusing :shock:
    MarkF
  • elffy
    elffy Posts: 98
    I rode the 100km route last Friday and it's a fantastic ride. I have never been a climber so I was worried I might be pushing quite a bit but I managed to cycle up all the 6312 feet of climbing. There is nothing to worry about until you reach Waddington where the climbing starts. This is the longest continous climb at a steady gradient except for a few sections. The rest of the climbs are short but steepish. The Pendle Hill climb is another longish steady climb. The last 20 miles are the toughest so dont burn yourself out early on. To give you some idea of the various climbs, I have posted a link below to my Garmin details.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/206319103

Just one word of warning, some of the road surfaces aren't very good with plenty of potholes, mud and gravel. There are also some sharp corners on the descents so be careful. There were also some mad tractor drivers who were also going far too fast down some of the single track lanes but dont let that put you off as it's a fantastic route and fingers crossed you'll get some decent weather for the event.
  • As mentioned earlier my mates roped me into the 100mile Brad ride. I would say my achilles heel will be Jubilee Tower which is supposed to be the 74th worst hill to climb in the country. I have done it a few times but not after 50miles, I live about 18miles from it. It is a killer especially if you are pushing all the way up to the Tower ( at least we aren't doing the first bit of the climb which adds another 150-200 feet to the climb ).
    And yes those hills after Nick O Pendle are absolute killers. After the short steep ones Barleyfield Lane is a long long long drag.
    And that guy to hill repeats on Stoney Lane must be mad. I did it for the first time last weekend after going round Rivington and I thought it was tough. Its supposed to be one that Wiggo trains on as its only a few miles from his house.

Anyone notice in the emails we've had to do with the ride, that Wiggo is only doing part of the ride? I have tos ay as well that £20 is a bit steep for an official photo with him, legend or not, although the moeny does go to his Foundation.

Anyone know of a good butty shop on the route maybe around Wray?

• Bridge House cafe in Wray.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net