Do I overwork myself?

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
I have a question about heavy exercise.

When I exercise in warm weather, indoors or in humid conditions, I have a problem with sweat and I overheat to the point that I have to stop. This means that I can't exercise to gain muscle because I have to stop before the training becomes effective. :x

Shall I go to my local doctors or is there a simple explanation or solution to this? (please note I am under 16)

Thanks! :mrgreen:
My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    MTB noob wrote:

When I exercise in warm weather, indoors or in humid conditions, I have a problem with sweat and I overheat to the point that I have to stop. This means that I can't exercise to gain muscle because I have to stop before the training becomes effective. :x

Shall I go to my local doctors or is there a simple explanation or solution to this? (please note I am under 16)

It probably means that you're just not cool enough.Open a window,buy a fan or wear less?
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I have the same problem. Humidity is a killer for me and makes me sweat like a fecker, even when im not exercising.

Putting more muscle on wont help either.

As stated above, learn to adapt, or put up with it
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I sweat a lot as well, it's a condition called hyperhydrosis. You can either live with it, like I do, or see you doc and he can precribe some drugs that can help or there are various other ways of dealing with it. My son was prescribed the drugs to try to help with his drool but they sent him loopy so we stopped giving him them pretty quickly.

Other than that just be aware of where you are excersising and the conditions there, drink plenty fluids and depending how bad it gets you may also need to take in extra salt, and just be sensible about how much you can do.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    oodboo wrote:
    I sweat a lot as well, it's a condition called hyperhydrosis. You can either live with it, like I do, or see you doc and he can precribe some drugs that can help or there are various other ways of dealing with it.
    Really?
    I've been told that there's ultimately nothing I can do.
    I sweat heavily from my head, and torso, so the "usual" hyperhydrosis cures of Botox injections to dull the nerves (commonly used to treat very sweaty palms, or underarms) are a no-go.
    Would you mind sharing some details - At least then I can questin my doctor about it? PM me if you don't want to make it public.
  • oodboo
    The stuff we got is called glycopyrronium bromide. Like I say though, it sent him loopy and when he was on it he would scream for 3-4 hours at night before bed, we could keep that up for more than a couple of days and haven't gone back to it. We were told that it is a very general medicine and to be careful when using it and keep an watch on his eyes to make sure they're not drying out too much. Seemed like pretty nasty stuff to me so we have no intention of using it again.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm, ok. thanks for the info though. I'll still have a word with the GP when I see him next.
  • oodboo
    That was the effect of a 0.5ml dose (0.1mg) on a 3 year old who's pretty sensitive to medication so it might be fine in an adult.

Strava
  • MTB noob
    Thanks for the advice and I would avoid the tablets by the sound of it becuase I also have ADHD (controlled) so that may be a bad combo.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb Posts: 111
    MTB noob wrote:

dude, buy one of these http://www.dwsports.com/mens/sports-clo ... e-top.html
    i have one for the gym as i have the same problem with overheating and sweating beyond sweating and i simply blow on the arms while wearing this and it goes super cold....i have the long sleave version. its a life saver... they can be found at dw sports and they're only about 15 quid. just wear it with a tshirt
    i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb Posts: 111
    also, i do a hell of a lot of exercise. i do a 12 mile round commute to work and back and i go to the gym 4-5 times a week for 3 hours, 1 hour hard cardio, 1 hour weights and half hour swim with half hour chillax in the sauna.
    i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's less than 15 hours a week, plenty of folk do far more.

OP: what do you mean by you have to stop? Can't you just man up a bit? We all get hot.
  • MTB noob
    I try to be cautious because it was only last week that i had a nose bleed that lasted for 15 mins for this problem. It didn't help that i had nothing to stop it apart from my shirt.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    njee20 wrote:
    OP: what do you mean by you have to stop? Can't you just man up a bit? We all get hot.
    I'm guessing he suffers the same as I do - crazy uncontrollable sweating, even when you don't really feel particularly hot.
    I dread humid days, I end up looking like I've been for a swim :lol:
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I used to suffer very badly with excessive sweating, still do when i'm indoor training on the turbo, it has lessened to a degree the fitter i've got.... maybe my case was not as bad as you guys I just accepted it and got on with it.

The important thing is to make sure you replace the fluid you have lost, whilst it is uncomfortable to sweat loads I dont think its particularly unhealthy, the OP's age may be a factor too raging hormones, etc. but see the doc if its a real worry.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I struggle to stay hydrated, it seems that I just cannot drink enough water after a properly long ride. My piss looks like honey for days afterwards.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Are you properly hyrdrated, before you start and do you drink well during the ride?

I read somewhere that you don't even perceive thirst until you have lost 2% of your body weight due to dehydration, so I guess its possible if you start a long ride in a state of dehydration then don't drink enough during it's magnified after?

Maybe try something like Dioralite.... great for hangovers too!
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I try to stay hydrated, but I ride pretty much every day.
    I'm thinking of packing some dioralyte for the coed y brenin enduro in September.

Trouble I find is, I just physically can't absorb enough water, but if I use nuun or some isotonic drinks, I end up with exceptionally salty sweat.