How long do wheels last?

kleinstroker
kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
My Ksyriums are from 2006 or 2007, and I bought them used, so just wondering how will I know when they need replacing? They seem fine to me but I'm no pro so not sure what to look out for, and have no idea how many miles they have covered before I got them. Do I need to service them regularly and what with?

cheers

Comments

• yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    I think an important aspect is to measure your rims so that it doesn't get too thin from braking otherwise they could fail
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Assuming you don't trash them, they should be good until the rim wears from braking. How long that takes could obviously vary pretty widely depending on maintenance, weather, and where and how often you ride. The hubs should last more or less indefinitely if you look after them.

Even when the rim's gone you could maybe replace it but there's probably not many people would do that.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Mavic rims for their wheelsets are horifically expensive. And also, if they have the nipples threaded into the rim then these often dont undo but corrode into the rim. Keep the wheel clean, check for any scores in the rim, ride them til they crack or break loads of spokes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As the wheels are more than 5 years old you probably can't get spares either, so you'll just have to keep riding till they're worn out.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Good to know. They feel OK at the moment so I will keep a spare eye on the braking surface of the rim as advised.

Thanks
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    One of the reasons I went handbuilt. The hubs will last forever, the rims I'll get my local wheelbuilder to replace as and when they wear out.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    yeachan153 wrote:
    I think an important aspect is to measure your rims so that it doesn't get too thin from braking otherwise they could fail

Beyond trying to guage rim wear from a visual inspection, or feeling if it's becoming concave, what's the best way to actually measure rim thickness?