lightweight seat question

twedspeed
twedspeed Posts: 130
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I want my bike as light as poss , to get up those hills.
Can anyone recomend a mega light seat.
Can you fit a roadie racer type seat ( obv very light) to a MTB.
Mines a full susser - does this make it easier on ones backside.
The Saddle on mine is 220 grams - Please only sugest lighter Saddles - Thanks.
WHYTE LIGHTNING - CARBON S/L - NOMAD anyone see a patern emerging ????????

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Do you really mean "mega light"? There are proper weight-weenie saddles down to 40-something grams, but they're not much more than a sheet of carbon.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    220gms isn't that heavy to start with. There's no reason why you can't fit a 'road' saddle to an mtb and, yes a full susser will make things comfier on your backside - amongst other advantages on rough terrain. But shaving 50, 60 even 100gms off the weight of your current saddle won't really help and, it'll cost you quite a bit.....it'd be cheaper to just not carry that bag of crisps in your rucksack!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    How do you know he carries crisps in a rucksack he may or may not carry? I've never taken a pack of crisps on a ride in my life!

As Warpcow says, if you spend enough then you can go silly light, the Becker Carbon SL is 47g and $500 (75kg weight limit too):

becker_saddle_71112_2

Whilst fitting 'road' saddles per se is ok, be wary if you look at the ultra ultra light stuff as it'll often be too fragile for MTB use.

If you really want to just make your bike light, rather than nice to ride, then something like this is only £45 and 100g, but not very comfy.

Other lightweight options worth looking at are the Selle Italia SLR (although I used to wear through the cover in less than a year), Spesh Toupe SL (I found the body's tended to snap, not tried the Toupe Pro with carbon rails) or the Spesh Phenom SL or Pro - I found the SL really comfy and durable, not tried the Pro, but no reason it wouldn't feel the same, but be a bit lighter. Will save 60g or so.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    If you want to get up hills faster, just ride more and get fitter.
  • Fallsalot
    Fallsalot Posts: 23
    If you want to save even more weight, send me 30 by paypal and your current seat and post....

Will make you fitter and less lazy as trying to sit will hurt.

This offer is open to all, i'll pm my paypal and postal address to all interested