New Google Nexus 7 and Blade Runner

Mr Sworld
Mr Sworld Posts: 703
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Ok.

New Google tablet is called the Nexus 7.

Harrison Ford's character in Blade Runner is a Nexus 7 model. (He is by the way, director said so...)

How has the vast majority of Geekdom missed this?

Poor show chaps...

Poor show.

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

Douglas Adams
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Ordered mine this morning
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin wrote:

So.. since we're on the subject... I'm looking for a tablet to take to London in a week or two, so's I can keep up with the Olympics, watch video streams of Athletics while hanging about and so on...

Ideally, I'd get one that I can use at home to stream iPlayer/LoveFilm to the Telly afterwards, and I want some lightweight office applications and the important internetty stuff (online banking, booking tickets, eBay etc).

I'm thinking Asus Transformer, though I don't think it'll do LoveFilm (no SilverLight for Android?). I'm also thinking that I need Android 4.0(ICS), not 4.1 (Jellybean), since I gather that doesn't do flash & the Beeb does... Though the option to upgrade would be desireable?

I'm reluctant to buy into the whole Apple thing... don't have any iThings at the moment, no iTunes account etc... My background is as a UNIX admin, so proprietry s/w isn't a natural fit, though my hackery days are over (bought Symbian last time I got a 'phone- moving to Android next, I think).

Any thoughtsm (from anyone)? Both on platform and suggestions for connectivity...?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    W.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    Just got a mail saying shipping next week...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    itboffin wrote:

Full report please!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    Ok.

New Google tablet is called the Nexus 7.

Harrison Ford's character in Blade Runner is a Nexus 7 model. (He is by the way, director said so...)

How has the vast majority of Geekdom missed this?

Poor show chaps...

Poor show.

My HTC definitely dreams of electric sheep.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • wgwarburton
    Ben6899 wrote:
    My HTC definitely dreams of electric sheep.

There must be a "screensaver".. Please, tell me there's a screensaver that displays dreams of electric sheep when an android handset "goes to sleep"!

Better still.. post a link!

Cheers,
    W.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Colleague of mine got his yesterday, and the screen wasn't working, at all. No response to any touch.

Sending it back but has to wait for all the pre-orders to be fulfilled first. He ain't a happy camper!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    itboffin wrote:

So.. since we're on the subject... I'm looking for a tablet to take to London in a week or two, so's I can keep up with the Olympics, watch video streams of Athletics while hanging about and so on...

Ideally, I'd get one that I can use at home to stream iPlayer/LoveFilm to the Telly afterwards, and I want some lightweight office applications and the important internetty stuff (online banking, booking tickets, eBay etc).

I'm thinking Asus Transformer, though I don't think it'll do LoveFilm (no SilverLight for Android?). I'm also thinking that I need Android 4.0(ICS), not 4.1 (Jellybean), since I gather that doesn't do flash & the Beeb does... Though the option to upgrade would be desireable?

I'm reluctant to buy into the whole Apple thing... don't have any iThings at the moment, no iTunes account etc... My background is as a UNIX admin, so proprietry s/w isn't a natural fit, though my hackery days are over (bought Symbian last time I got a 'phone- moving to Android next, I think).

Any thoughtsm (from anyone)? Both on platform and suggestions for connectivity...?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    W.

I have the Asus Transformer Prime (TF201) on ICS 4.0.3 and its great for all of the above... well iPlayer and ITV4 (for the TdF)... never used LoveFilm so can't comment. Have to install/upgrade to Flash 11 as its not there by default.. and you get a big warning that says Adobe wont be supporting Flash on Android past 4.0.3 :sad: , not looked into why yet.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Could be wrong but got the impression that, whilst it might not be available in Google Play store on Jellybean devices, you can still side-load Adobe Flash onto them and that it will work with (at least) third party browsers. The default browser on JB is the Chrome port and that doesn't support Flash on ICS. The GF just upgraded her Galaxy Nexus to JB last night - will check on that. If you go with JB and have problems, it's likely you could easily flash back to a CM ICS rom. Of course, iDevices immediately rule out Flash.
  • itboffin
    I am and have been a MASSHOOF fan of macs in all their forms over the years buuuut not on my phones or tablets, they're just not as good (maybe yet) as the alternative Android options.

FACT

Oh and Campagnolo is BEST

FACTII

Women are attracted to men who can hold their beer

FACTIII
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • vermin
    vermin wrote:
    Could be wrong but got the impression that, whilst it might not be available in Google Play store on Jellybean devices, you can still side-load Adobe Flash onto them and that it will work with (at least) third party browsers. The default browser on JB is the Chrome port and that doesn't support Flash on ICS. The GF just upgraded her Galaxy Nexus to JB last night - will check on that. If you go with JB and have problems, it's likely you could easily flash back to a CM ICS rom. Of course, iDevices immediately rule out Flash.

Checked and Flash works on the default JB browser on Galaxy Nexus, but then the JB update didn't include Chrome browser. Still, suggests that JB does not equal no Flash compatibility.
  • vermin
    Delete
  • wgwarburton
    Hi,
    Thanks for the advice, guys- went for the Asus TF300. Looks good so far.

Was also impressed by the assistant at Dixons/PCWorld/Curries on Princes Street, BTW- knowledgable, helpful, not pushy. Pleasantly surprised, I have to admit.

Cheers,
    W.
  • itboffin
    Wow just wow if don't have a tablet yet dooooooo eeeeet NOW
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Almost had one...

A box arrived at work with no name on and it was passed to technical department.

Inside was a Nexus!

Unfortunately the owner claimed it the next day. :(
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Had mine few days.

All I can see is, if you can afford it at that price, get one.

It's the first tablet I've had, and although my phone is Andriod based, it's too small to use for browsing etc.

Some general notes:

Plus points: It's fast/responsive, great size for browsing/youtube, good speakers, great grippy back cover, lovely screen, the voice search is actually quite good.

Bad Points: No default camera app installed, needs fiddling to get working with ubuntu, a few apps are crashing, but work fine on my phone.