ChainReactionCycles...

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Why do they always seem to use mahoosive boxes for tiny products?

I ordered a 5mm FSA spacer that came in a huge box, Why not just a padded envelope?

They never seem to change the size of the packaging lol no matter what the size of the product is.

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Amazon seem to do the same if it doesn't fit in a slimline cardboard sleeve.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • boristhespie
    boristhespie Posts: 109
    Go to their FAQS. They answer your very question.

The answer is, if you can't be arsed, is that one box makes it quicker for them and easier to fullfill orders more speedily.

Nae faffing aboot.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    They did an article on CRC on here a while back that was a guided tour of their warehouse. Their entire packing line is automated, so someone chucks in your order into a big box on a conveyor belt, and then a clever machine takes the big box and cuts it down to size. Obviously, there is only so small you can make a big box though. It can be annoying, especially if you've ordered something small and you know the postie isn't just going to be able to pop it through the letterbox.

Edit: Here it is!

and even a video of it in operation
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    My last CRC order arrived in a padded envelope.

I feel cheated.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    A large amount of orders went missing too apparently, something small like a bag or envelope is easy to go missing/get nicked in the post, so they switched for that reason too
  • Flamez
    Flamez Posts: 105
    Mmm i too recieved my items in a padded envelope yesterday..
    Condor World Series 2012
    Boardman Team 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I blame Wiggle. Before anyone else does.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Fallsalot
    Fallsalot Posts: 23
    They did an article on CRC on here a while back that was a guided tour of their warehouse. Their entire packing line is automated, so someone chucks in your order into a big box on a conveyor belt, and then a clever machine takes the big box and cuts it down to size. Obviously, there is only so small you can make a big box though. It can be annoying, especially if you've ordered something small and you know the postie isn't just going to be able to pop it through the letterbox.

Edit: Here it is!

and even a video of it in operation

Last sentence made me think of the oxygen theif thread....
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I love the big boxes. I purposefully order dust caps, spacers and other small items just so I get the big boxes.

My fort is coming along nicely.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I love the big boxes.

get yourself to wolverhampton on a friday night then
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Clank wrote:
    My last CRC order arrived in a padded envelope.

I feel cheated.
    Me too. On Monday. Ordered Friday too. Fast.
    Hmm, that's morse code with words, it would be: 'I AGE'. Naturally I do.
    Feeling a bit random today...
    Many happy trails!
  • crispy1980
    crispy1980 Posts: 310
    to be honest, if all you can fault a retailer for is the size of there boxes then they are doing agood job! i cannot praise crc up enough. ive ordered lots of different bits and they have always turned up quickly. i have also had to send something back and they were brilliant.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Gazlar wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I love the big boxes.

get yourself to wolverhampton on a friday night then
    :lol: