Maddening Click

k1nda
k1nda Posts: 4
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

Please if anyone can help me resolve the annoying clicking of my Genesis Core 10 2011 bike it would be greatly appreciated. I've tried all sorts.

I've had the bike about a year and 3 months and the click started a few months ago. I had had a previous click noise when I first got it, but think this is different, and the bike shop resolved it by replacing BB, then when that didn't work, doing loads of greasing and tensioning spokes, (it was never really clear what the cause of the click was but it had gone).

Features of new click:-

Sounds like a metal cable stetching / pulling, or similar to a cooling engine.
Sounds like coming from bottom bracket area but hard to tell really
Doesn't repeat in a regular pattern to coincide with a crank or wheel rotation
When peddling occurs most of time
When not peddling almost never occurs, and if does just does the click once
Leaning the bike when on it seems to make it happen also
Getting a steady even pedal pressure and keeping bike upright and straight often stops it
Stripped off everything except two wheels, handlebars, brakes, and fork, and got what I think was the same click by holding top tube and pulling side nearest seat toward, (didn't occur every time I did this)

What I've tried

Cranks and bottom bracket off and put back in, (not changed)
Headset removed and greased
Wheel quick release skewers and axles / nuts greased
Loose spokes tightened
Spoke nipples oiled at rim, (from inside rim as well on back wheel)
Crossover of spokes oiled
Spoke join to hubs oiled
Rear and front derraileurs removed and refitted
Rear derraileur hanger contact with frame greased, and derrailleur contact with hanger greased
Checked for frame and wheel cracks - none found
Frayed front derraileur cable replaced

I really thought it was the wheels but after oiling and tightening spokes I'm not sure. I'd ruled out the bottom bracket after getting a similar sound with it off, but now wondering, as sure I heard a new slight creaking the other day, but it seems to have stopped. However, it's an Octalink ES25, and has done only around 1000 miles I reckon so would be dissapointing.

Only thing I've not done is the wheel hubs, but they're decent Shimano RM65 hubs, and cartridge based, so I'd think they'd still be OK. There's no excessive play in the free hub.

One thing I have started to think about is the bottom bracket shell?

Please if any of you are able to offer advice on the best thing to try next, or better ways to diagnose the issue I'd be very very grateful. The bike rides great, but the noise is sending me nutty! :o

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    k1nda wrote:
    Stripped off everything except two wheels, handlebars, brakes, and fork, and got what I think was the same click by holding top tube and pulling side nearest seat toward, (didn't occur every time I did this)

Everything? Including the saddle and seat post? It's a common place for creaks and clicks, and this test may be misleading since you only think it's the same click. Also, make sure when you reassemble things they're going on at the correct torque settings - you and the manufacturer may not agree on what "nice and tight" is! Other possibilities . . .
    The chain can make some odd noises - try a different one, or thoroughly lubricating what you've got
    Pedal bearings are another possibility - check for play or roughness
    The pedal attachment to the crank - correct torque? Is the thread OK?
    Finally, get that oil off your spokes before it finds its way into or onto one or more of brake discs/braking surface of the rim/inner tube/tyre. Wheels don't need grease/oil outside of the hub!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Knees?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Crank tapers (octa link splines). Try removing and giving tapers/splines a go over with a wire brush and check for dirt in the crank arm splines then grease bolt and do them up TIGHT. If this don't fix it remove and LIGHTLY grease the splines then try again. (when i say tight just hand tight NOT put a bar on the allen key and "honk" on it tight!).

The nippers ISIS RPM crank creaked 'till i cleaned the splines with a wire brush and gave them a light greasing.

Thanks.
  • k1nda
    Thanks for all the advice.

I've just purchased a replacement bottom bracket, just to rule it out as they aren't expensive. I do go up a very steep hill for about 10 minutes 4 or 5 times a week.

In terms of the seat, yes, I've ridden it without seat, post, or clamp. and the click / tick is still there. The oil on the spokes and nipples was somethng I'd read, but yes as you say over the lat couple of days I've ended up with oil on rim and tube and had to wipe it off! :?

Another piece of information I should have provided is that this doesn't happen at all in the stand with the bike clamped by the seat post - it's only when I'm on it it happens. Aslo forgot to say I've had the rear derraileur cage open and cleand and lubed the cogs.

I think that the test where I twisted the frame may have been a red-herring, though the sound I could sometimes produce was definitely similar. This lead me not to bother looking at chain ring bolts and pedals, (I did swap the pedals a few months ago ...), so I'll check those out. Also the chain, though I do try to keep it clean and well-oiled. I may just check the forks a bit as well, following the advice on Park Tools. I heavily copper greased the BB threads and splines recently to try and make sure that wasn't the cause, but I'll ensure I look out for dirt and tightness when putting the new one in, (I don't have a torque wrench but reckon I would have at least got the 50lbs pressure Park are recommending).

I don't like to keep breaking the chain rings unnecessarily, but do you think it might tell me sometihng if I took of the chain, but left the cranks on, then had a go on the bike? Thought it might just indicate if it's the spinning of the cranks or the actual pulling of the chain that is the issue? Or is this just meaningless without haveing the stresses pulling the chain brings?

Thanks again for the advice.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    k1nda wrote:
    I don't like to keep breaking the chain rings unnecessarily, but do you think it might tell me sometihng if I took of the chain, but left the cranks on, then had a go on the bike? Thought it might just indicate if it's the spinning of the cranks or the actual pulling of the chain that is the issue? Or is this just meaningless without haveing the stresses pulling the chain brings?

Thanks again for the advice.
    Maybe give it a go when you get the chain off for cleaning and re-lubing. If you can make the noise happen without a chain on, it rules the chain out at least. Also consider getting a quick link for the chain - much better than breaking and re-setting every time! Not least of the reasons to get one is that you can get wholly or partially jammed links if you're not careful, which can make an annoying clicking noise . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I had a similar click to what you described,and greasing the seatpost resolved it though you say you`ve tried that.

I also once had noise from my shoe where they rubbed on my SPD pedals.

Only solution is to work through everyhting methodically.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • I had a similar click on my big hit. Turned out to be the pedal bearings were on their way out. Happened when pedaling and when free wheeling. Any pressure on the pedals caused it. Was very miss leading as I couldn't locate the noise properly. Try stripping the pedals and greasing the bearings and don't tighten the locking nut too tight or leave it too loose. Hope you find the culprit. It's annoying having a clicky bike lol
    Specialized big hit pro
    Orange 5
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Might sound daft but how long is the cable for the front mech and which direction is it sticking out in? Could you be catching it? Just occurs to me because a mate of mine bust his shifter and made me change it for him before a ride. When I put the new cable in I left it quite long just so that it'd catch on him and wind him up as my kind of petty revenge. That clicked a lot when he pedalled.

I also stole his seatpost and saddle when he went for a piss then rode off with them. He's not asked for carpark repairs since. Come to think of it he's not ridden with me since either :lol:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    every time i've had the exact click youve described its been the bb needing replaced. i think any dryness or creaking from the BB is amplified by the shell as no other parts of the bike seem to do this when the bearings have been on their way out.
  • k1nda
    Thanks for the help.

Today did it while freewheeling down short hill. Also noticed if grab child seat I now have fitted when not on bike and anh rock bike it consistently makes the noise so thinking rules out chain pedals etc?
    . I think i'll give bb a go. Fingers crossed! I have checked the cables a bit.
    Thanks for all the help