Advice for a newbie

zanush
zanush Posts: 161
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I have a Gt talera skulking away in the shed which tbh never saw much action from when i bought it way back in 1996/7 and i'm wanting to get fit again and just some general lesisure rides. I let it see some daylight today and it won't change gears properly etc plus it's looking a bit skanky so i'm wondering whether it's worthwhile sorting out or just buy a new bike.
I can spend around £500 at the very most if i was to go the new bike route but would prefer around the £400 area lol, iv'e had a look in the local halfrauds and tbh i didn't even know you could get hybrids :? . I'm assuming a hybrid would be what i'm looking for as it would be mostly road use but would still like to go along some light forest style tracks when the mood takes me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated ;)
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So clean, lube and adjust it and see if you actually use it this time before buying something else to gather dust.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Just googled GT Talera and its still a good looking Retro bike. Perfect for light off roading or commuting.

As mentioned previously, clean it up and use it. If the gears don’t work so well, whats the worst that could be wrong with them if you’ve hardly used it. Take it to your LBS and they’ll fix it up for pennys in comparison for the cost of another bike.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • zanush
    I did have a quick go at adjusting it lastnight, the shifter wasn't indexing properly so I cleaned it and bunged some more grease in but for the life of me I cannot get it to to move to all rear cogs ie will move to the largest cog but not the smallest and vice versa with adjustment at the shifter plus h/l screws at the rear deraileur.
    Tbh it was a purchase back in 96/97 with no research and the bikeshop convinced me having some rst suspension front forks was the way to go. My main gripe is that it is damn heavy compared to bikes these days and the paintwork is chipped etc.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Paintwork will get chipped on a new bike too.

+1 on riding your current bike.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • cooldad
    Some new cables would probably hekp.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Fallsalot
    Fallsalot Posts: 23
    +1 for using existing, no point spending 400+ on a bike you might end up not using. Spend a few quid at your lbs and get it serviced and setup properly and see how you get on. Getting the latest shiney thing isnt always the best option.
  • zanush
    Thanks for the replies....i took a few pics of the old dog with my cruddy phone aswell and i've realised it has the same tyres on from when i bought it lol.
    The more i think about it the more i want a lighter bike though lol. Yes i have this old dog which i suppose might not take too much expense to sort out but then again if i got something like http://www.cheshireoakscycles.co.uk/m10b0s18p1829/-MARIN-San-Rafael-DS3-Mens-Hybrid-bicycle-2012 it's going to be lighter and i'd more than likely use it more if it is suitable for light trails.
    dsc0065rec.jpg
    dsc0068cf.jpg
    dsc0067kt.jpg
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • jonnoak
    jonnoak Posts: 54
    Hi from another noob :) I think if i was in your position i would get the gt serviced and see if you use it first (might gather dust again !!), if you do use it at least you could sell the gt and put the funds towards a new lighter one ;)
  • cooldad
    I'm a Marin fan, but that is very expensive for what you get.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • zanush
    Hi Jonnoak ;)
    I might see how much a service is at one of the 2 lbs near me. I doubt it's worth a great deal if i came to sell it anyway lol....too many paint chips, heavy and about 14/15 year's old lol so i doubt anyone would be interested anyway. I wish i still had my Raleigh record sprint though...that was the first bike i ever spent any real money back in 1989/90...was a fantastic bike for the money i paid for it and that one i used virtualy everyday, i out grew it and eventualy gave it away to good home ;)
    cooldad wrote:
    I'm a Marin fan, but that is very expensive for what you get.
    It was just one i saw while browsing tbh.....i haven't a clue what component's are decent these days.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • A "skanky bike" and "cruddy phone".... Zanush before you do anything especially spending £500 on a new bike is to be positive on what you have, otherwise your going to go out and ride the bike, hate ever minute of it because "its crap", ride crap and get home in a more grumpier mood than when you left the house, throw the bike back in the shed and leave it there for another 15 years.

The photos you show look like you have a bike that has potential, as previously mentioned get it serviced, new chain, cassette, cables etc, give it a good wash and polish and ? remove the purple antlers you have as bar ends :lol: , for what you say you want to do with the bike which is ride on roads and trails then it will do the job, heck even the tyres look good. You can even treat yourself to a comfy saddle, and then if you need to do more with the bike or find yourself out daily or commuting to work, say, then look at new bikes, if you do sell the GT on say ebay, be positive with your description, there will be someone out there the will think your bike is the bees knees even in the condition its in now you will get a few quid to put towards a new one.
  • cooldad
    I wouldn't even do that much. New cables, some lube and adjustment and away you go.

Although I do agree about the antlers.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • zanush
    I suppose i'm just being seduced by nice shiny and lighter new bikes lol.
    The tyres are indeed in good condition seeing as they are the original tyres (wtb velociraptor), still loads of tread and supple and i do recall they had decent traction on the bike trail's around delamere forest.
    I'll give the lbs a ring 2moz and see how a service will be and go from there...i don't want to spend too much on it just in case i decide to plump for a new one tbh and i suspect a new cassette, chain and cables with a service would set me back a bit anyway.

As for the antlers for some reason i thought they were a good idea but never took them off because i had to cut an inch off the grips to fit them in the first place lol
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • cooldad
    I'd have a go yourself - LBS will have you for an arm and a leg, and the stuff is probably mostly fine - that old stuff lasts.
    I have a Rockhopper that's going on for 25 years old and it's still on the original cogs, chainrings, mech, hubs etc.

Have a look here for how to do pretty much everything
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • zanush
    I managed to get the gears more or less sorted myself eventualy :shock:
    Went out and about for a few hours today and i've more or less decided i'm going to get a new one and see if i can get something for my GT.
    I know you prolly get this the all the time but what would you suggest for a mix of road and trail in the £400/500 bracket?
    I was just having a browse and came across a scott aspect 30 for £475, would this be a contender? http://www.langsettcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b24s2p8224
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Stock answer - Voodoo Hoodoo at the price. Or stretch to a Rockrider 8.1. That's if you want a mountain bike.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • zanush
    Thanks for the reply ;)
    Just had a quick shufty at the voodoo hoodoo instore halfords....not into red tbh and i cannie stretch to a rockrider as i need to buy some form of bike carrier/roof rack for my DS3 :/
    I quite like the look of the Aspect 30 so i'm thinking i'm going to go for that one, i have read somewhere that the forks are a bit poo?, doesn't bother me too much seeing as they are still going to be better than the rst ones that are on the GT Talera lol
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • cooldad
    Picking a bike based on colour is a bit silly, IMHO.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • zanush
    The colour was only one aspect, i just didn't like the style of the bike tbh....it may be a decent spec for the dosh but no point buying something you don't really like don't you think?
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • Fallsalot
    Fallsalot Posts: 23
    But buying domething you think has poor components is just as bad, if the fork is poor on your intended purchase it will be dead weight and possibly help make your new shiney bike end up in the shed like the old one.
  • zanush
    I know bugger all about components tbh and i've read elsewhere that the forks are not bad and will be fine for what i intend to do but "maybe" something worth upgrading in the future.
    I would rather do that than end up regretting buying a bike that i didn't like in the first place, that just seems stupid to me. I get the fact that for this price bracket you are only getting entry level and you need to get the best you can get for your money.
    As it happens i'm getting a good deal on an older model aspect 35 which a bike shop recommended, same forks but again if i start getting into the muddy stuff a bit more i can upgrade.
    aspect-35-big.jpg
    Frame :Hydroformed Alloy 6061 d.b Performance geometry
    Fork :Suntour XCR with Lockout 100mm travel
    Seatpost Scott Comp JD SP-47T.1 / 31.6mm
    Shifters :Shimano Deore SL-M590R-fire plus 2w/gear indicator
    Rear Mech :Shimano Deore Shadow RD-M592 27 Speed
    Front Mech :Shimano Deore FC-M590 / 34.9mm
    Bottom Bracket :Shimano BB-ES-25
    Chainset :Shimano FC-M442 Octalink, silver44Ax32x22 T
    Cassette :Shimano CS-HG50-9 11-32 T
    Chain :Shimano CN-HG53
    Brakes :Shimano BR-M486Hydr. Disc
    Pedals :XeramaSP-910-S
    Wheelset :F:Scott Disc Team R:Shimano FH-RM65-8 CL Alex XC-44 Disc 32HWhite 15 G, stainless, black
    Tyres :Schwalbe Black Jack 26 x 2.1 50TPI
    Handlebar :Scott Aspect OS620mm, black, 31,8mm20mm rise 8°
    Stem : cott CompJD-ST57 A (OS 31,8mm)
    Saddle New Aspect
    Headset :Ritchey Logic OE integ.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95