RP lap times

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Quick one - in % terms, how much is the current wind direction/conditions taking off your average RP lap in good conditions?

Comments

• chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Maybe 2/3% if it's blowing hard as I'm on the long drag up from Priory Lane towards Sawyer's.

Seemed to get a bit of a tailwind later in the lap though.

All my fastest laps have resulted in riding through and off or getting a tow off a car along that stretch.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I can lose 30 seconds on the stretch from Sheen Roundabout to Richmond Gate roundabout if there's a headwind. It's then harder work down to Kingston Gate.

That gap only widens over three laps.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • london-red
    Hmmmm - 2-3% is depressing. I find that I can lose a mahoosive amount of time on the stretch from Roehampton to Richmond stretch.

Frustrating times for this time of year.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    Tonight I did a 20.2x and that was with a stop and an exchange of pleasentries and directions just after dark hill. there was a hefty head wind up sawyers and down from Richmond gate to kingston. My pb is only a minute quicker.
    I'm quite short though and seem to sit much lower than most on my bike. I'm also still at a stage where my fitness is improving weekly, too. Maybe it will take a bigger toll next year when my fitness gains slow down
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    Had an early AM nip around - 2 x sedate laps, approx 20 dead and about 21.30 second. Headwind up Sawers was a lot to deal with, as I am built like a wind break (wind saps speed out of me). Whippet I am towing behind hardly makes a difference...

On a +1 the weather these last few mornings has been delightful, around 6-7am.
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • london-red
    I did a 20.43 last night, which was hard work, but which was still about a minute of this year's PB from March :shock: which again is about 90 secs off my overall PB. True my training schedule has involved several pints of real ale and the odd ciggy, but still :x
    beams87 wrote:
    Sawers was a lot to deal with, as I am built like a wind break (wind saps speed out of me).

This ^^
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Wind looks nice and light tomorrow morning so I'm going to have a go at getting two laps in before work.

I'll have my rucksack so won't expect any PBs. Also - that stretch is really exposed to the elements so I imagine there's always a stiff wind, even if the rest of London is sheltered.