Lock choice

swj1
swj1 Posts: 70
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
Hi All,
I am just about to take a delivery of my new pride and joy :) and as I cost £1600 I would hate for some scumbag to get there dirty little paws on it!

I already have an Kryptonite New York 3000 and has been very good but I lost spare key to it so dread losing last key and also I am not sure if it is up to the job? Any recommendations from you guys/gals would be much appreciated :D

Comments

• Search youtube for CaptainCropper for ideas on what not to get. And the links his vids show on secure locking and how thieves actually get stuff.

Then, once you're scared half to death and you're so paranoid you keep the bike in the bedroom tell us a little bit about where you're keeping the bike. Garage? Against the wall? Is the garage a brick one? Concrete floor? Up and over door? Or did you buy the nuclear bunker in Dolis Hill? :lol:
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Problem is a thief can get through a £100 D lock in about 20 seconds with a angle grinder. Or about 5 with bolt cutters with flex type.

Also your bike is only as secure as the fixings, they could cut the fence away if you use a dozen locks onto a single fence.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Also are we talking locking inside a shed at home or portable security?
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    get insurance as well as two good locks - and ensure the locks are different types i.e. one good d lock and one good er...something else ;)

it''ll only slow the thief down if they really want it but it'll deter others.

also the normal practice is to park your bike next to something better...but i'm not sure you'll be able to do that with yours!!

Basically don't ever leave it on the street ;)
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    I'm sure the existing key has a code on it and you can purchase additional keys direct from the manufacturer?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • swj1
    swj1 Posts: 70
    Hi All,
    Bike will be kept in a shed at home and secure bike shed at work.

I am trying to convince the missus that it would look good in the dining room at night but it appear we have differing views on decorating ideas ;)
  • If it's in a shed then I'd fit a infra red activated light in the back garden that covers the shed and the area around it. I'd put a shed alarm in the shed that makes an unholy noise when it goes off(not some 'neep neep' kinda thing). Then a ground anchor concreted into the floor of the shed and a 16 or 19mm chain through the bike and anchor. I'd beef up the shed door and window security as well. £200 should do it.

Oh - and get your bike registered on Immobilise.com or wherever.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    swj1 wrote:
    Hi All,
    Bike will be kept in a shed at home and secure bike shed at work.

I am trying to convince the missus that it would look good in the dining room at night but it appear we have differing views on decorating ideas ;)

stick a low power rear light on it and say it's there for mood lighting.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Drew123
    Drew123 Posts: 61
    Put a couple of cushions on it as well and you're sorted...
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Doing a lot of Googling into bike security. Best I came up with is buy 2 quality D-Locks, one through the front wheel and frame and the other through the rear wheel and frame, to posts. If you're commuting to the same place every day consider getting a 19mm chain and bombproof padlock and leave them locked to the post at work/college all the time rather than lug it around. Don't buy one of them cable lock things, they aren't as secure. Don't keep your bike stored outside. The best chain in the world will only be as good as the padlock you get. The best lock in the world is only as good as the post its around.

Personally, if you keep your bike in the shed, I would buy landmines for the garden and tie a big hungry tiger to your bike.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Quality thieves/idiots will superglue your big lock if it's left in public - leaving you with a tricky problem first thing in the morning.
  • A useful list of recommended locks can be found here, ways to use them properly here and ways not to use them here.