Is Voeckler an unpopular rider?

2»

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    iainf72 wrote:
    Have a read of this
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12839028
    In short, some people love him, some people don't. His peers in the peloton don't really like him.
    Also a read of this
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12635210&p=15452067&hilit=voeckler#p15452067

Although the peloton might have previously found his tactics and bluffing irritating, I wonder if Voeckler's own statement that 90% of the peloton actually dislike him was a self-fulfilling prophesy which he could have avoided had he not made the statement (which in itself was a ploy for public sympathy).
    Before he came out with that, he tended more to just say that other French riders disliked him because they were jealous of his popularity amongst the general public in France; he didn't refer to the whole peloton.

He's probably the most-well known current French rider in France, many French couldn't name another, but that doesn't mean all French like him, on French cycling forums judgements on him are very mixed.
    And certainly some French riders don't like the way Voeckler puts himself in the limelight and plays to the public to get attention and sympathy - Jerome Pineau tweeted before Paris-Nice : T Voeckler Show 1er episode!!!, Pfff
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    ddraver wrote:
    I think there are a few "Tour Poster" jumping on a few bandwagons...

I'm loving the fact that someone's finally chimed in with this type of comment.

So the utter garbage that you post on here is more relevant because you're posting it all year round? Whereas I wait until there's a grand tour on to post mine.

Anyway, unless there is a grand tour then this subforum is entirely given over to pontificating about Lance's pharmacutical back catalogue. It's mostly always dull and boring.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    jim453 wrote:
    Anyway, unless there is a grand tour then this subforum is entirely given over to pontificating about Lance's pharmacutical back catalogue. It's mostly always dull and boring.

You mean aside from when the classics, or Paris Nice, or Dauphine or Trentino are on, obviously?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    No, it's mostly always boring then too.

Well done for being able to name a few more high profile bike races though. I thought the grand tours were the only three races in existence.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    jim453 wrote:
    No, it's mostly always boring then too.

Well done for being able to name a few more high profile bike races though. I thought the grand tours were the only three races in existence.

The point is, you're talking rubbish.

We have a fairly good community and have really good discussions during the classics and smaller stage races. No problem if you want to only post during the Tour, thats your choice, but the forum is not only worth a peek during grand tours.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    @jim - Except that it's exactly the same - people watching a race and posting their thoughts...

If you re not sure what to think of TV, or any other rider in the world, watch a few races, listne to a few interviews, read a few articles and make up your own sodding mind! :evil:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    jim453 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    I think there are a few "Tour Poster" jumping on a few bandwagons...

I'm loving the fact that someone's finally chimed in with this type of comment.

So the utter garbage that you post on here is more relevant because you're posting it all year round? Whereas I wait until there's a grand tour on to post mine.

I'd say pretty much every WorldTour race was talked about a fair amount on here actually. Yes theres been a lot of doping chat because its silly season at the minute, and the fact that the Lance Armstrong case has taken headlines all over the world justifies it being a topic in pro-race, seeing as he was a 7 time tour winner and long time pro cyclist. Makes sense really.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I hate him.
  • ShavenLegs
    ShavenLegs Posts: 33
    If I had to ride with, or against, him I'd probably hate him, but since none us do what's the problem.

Whether you think of him as a dashing hero or a pantomime villain he brings a bit of entertainment value to the race.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RE Nico Roche. After reading a bit about a while back, I can fully understand why he never performs, mainly because he does stupid shit like worries about his weight mid-tour and eats 1 bowl of muesli for breakfast.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    As I'm not a pro-cyclist I can't comment on whether TV is popular with his peers or not and anyway he won't be a pro-cyclist for ever so even if he isn't universally popular with the peloton I'm not sure he's bothered by it.

Certainly most of the evidence is at best anecdotal.

I sometimes think he's a bit like Katie Price in that they know their target audience (the French public in TV's case) and will manage their public persona to benefit their own ends. They both come across as a bit odd but I'm not sure away from the camera they are anything like that. I suspect TV is actually quite a sharp cookie but what do I know.