Got any heroes still cycling?

Lichtblick
Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
edited July 2012 in Pro race
George Hincapie. What a guy. Still cycling after all these years as a loyal domestique, nothing fazes him. Changes of teams, crashing and getting fixed up by the motorbike medic, getting married (to podium gal) and having baby, being a "no name" name in the on-going LA legals.....

Jens Voigt. What a guy. Still cycling after all these years, fighting as if it's still his first year. Who can forget that crash in TdF 2009? http://youtu.be/8-payruR2-k

Thomas Voeckler. What a guy. Twice he's ridden in Yellow Jersey for 9-10 days, 2004 and 2011, even on stages not suited to him. Two stages so far this year, what a fighter.

Thor Hushovd. What a guy. Not your average sprinter, who can forget his stage wins last year - speeding down the mountain, banging his chest when he won (that's the way to cross line) (stage 13, in rainbow jersey) http://youtu.be/D3ULgQRm03Q

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    So, no then.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Bradley Wiggins.
    Knew he had the tallent, recognised that he hadn't made the most of it, did something about it and now will be the first British winner of the TdF!
    Mark Cavendish, Chris Hoy, Vicky Pendleton. All classy winners.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Heroes, not really.

I do adore Matt Hayman and Edvald Boasson Hagen though.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Hoy, Cav, Wiggins.

I think my new ''heroine'' is going to be Laura Trott. She is bloody fantastic.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • esafosfina
    esafosfina Posts: 131
    Heroes... jesus, I wish... I ended up racing with and against my 'heroes' and they lose a lot of shine when you get to know them...

Look towards Thibault Pinot et al... and pray they stay clean.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    esafosfina, that user name seems to remind me of one on veloriders?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Boonen.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Esafosfina is a drug to help a particular calcium deficiency isn't it?
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    anyway, no sports heroes in general as suffering in sports is usually optional, millions of people in the world risk and suffer more for a lot less every day.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Heroes - no, they are sportsmen who do something they love, are very good at it and get paid too.

However I do have an admiration for many top sportsmen, and in cycling then particularly Cav & Thor from the current crop on the road.
    All are able to push themselves way beyond what ordinary folk are prepared to do, and some don't get much reward in return in an era dominated by a single sport full of cheats.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    1318579124.jpg

Gotta be the Pool-ster! :D
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Daz555 wrote:
    Hoy, Cav, Wiggins.

I think my new ''heroine'' is going to be Laura Trott. She is bloody fantastic.

Agree - a super lass, destined for 2 Olympic 'golds' I predict.

Terrific article here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... ympic-gold
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    Jonny Bellis anyone? Coming back from such a serious injury to ride professionally again is pretty heroic.