Looking to upgrade between £2500-£3000

Telboy484
Telboy484 Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi there, I'm 48 and took up cycling again 3 years ago on the ride to work scheme. Bought a sirrus expert and loved it. Moved up to an allez comp 6 months ago and love it. I feel i need to push on and do some longer rides and possibly some sprint triathlons. My 24 year old son has a felt ar3 and my youngest is 21 and is moving from bianchi to a £3000 planet x. I am 6ft and 15 stone and will use bike for work and recreation... Any ideas????

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Lend us a bag of sand....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • If you love what you've got why not spend £2900 on booze and hookers and blow the rest on the rank outsider in the 2.30 at Kempton Park?

If it was my money and I had to spend it on a bike I'd blow it on a custom titanium frame and lots of other similarly shiny bits to go on it.

:P
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Go on a diet and save the money?
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    id go down the titanium route, its going to be my next purchase! but has to be said for a more modest budget
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    Hi

An expensive bike will not allow you to do longer rides or a sprint triathlon. What it will do is give you shiny toy. Basically just as a porsche is no better than a mini but is a shiny toy. I can fully understand that. I have a Giant TCR sl frame with Di2. I love it as a bike. Can I push it anywhere near its limits? Of course not, but that is not the point.

Go and try as many expensive bikes as you can and choose one that you like.Have fun.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Personally I'd find a shop that does bike fitting (Sigma or Condor most obviously in London) and make sure you get something that fits well so that you can get the best out of it. Then as Chris says, ride the heck out of a few and pick the one that gives you the widest grin.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Work and recreation require completely different types of bike. If you have the money, its essential to have lots of bikes. Some people have to make do with one because they spent the rest on booze and hookers.
    Get a winter trainer, eg Kinesis TK2 as your workshorse commuter.
    The Allez comp is good enough as a std road bike, maybe needing a wheel upgrade.
    You NEED a triathlon or time trial bike. TT bikes must be UCI-compliant, Tri bikes are not, so have more freedom of design. Something swoopy and carbon or custom titanium will do the job.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    MichaelW wrote:
    You NEED a triathlon or time trial bike. TT bikes must be UCI-compliant, Tri bikes are not, so have more freedom of design. Something swoopy and carbon or custom titanium will do the job.

You don't NEED a tri/TT bike, but if you are going for a commuter (and use it as winter trainer) , I'd get a dedicated TT bike and use your current bike with better wheels/tyres as a summer trainer. Also to do TTs under CTT rules it doesn't need to be UCI compliant - only TTs under UCI rules (and in Britain that means British Cycling) need compliant bikes and that's generally limited to Scotland and the British TT Champs. (CTT do have wheel restrictions though and front wheels have to have a certain percentage of open area).
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    The bloke riding this in the first picture looks as if he needs a much bigger size!!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Telboy484
    Telboy484 Posts: 3
    A reply to "Rushmore"......... Don't assume that coz I'm 15 stone I need to diet!!!!! I consistantly run 38 min 10k times, have finished in top 30 winter and summer tough guy for last 6 years and am training for the London to Brighton run in September! Not bad for nearly 50! Anyway, thanks to those or the better advice.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'd go custom steel. Something like a Feather in XCR.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach