Beginner training for charity ride

Brother_Dennis
Brother_Dennis Posts: 8
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I am currently training for a 65 mile charity ride in September.

Given as I have not really cycled since I was about 18-19 (i'm now 37), I started off 5 weeks ago doing 5miles 4 times a week I have steadily progressed to 10 miles 3x during the week and 20x miles at the weekend, this was last weekend.

Has anyine got any advice as to where I go now with regards to the distances and any tips on quickening my pace, last Sunday I was passed with great ease numerous times

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You are doing the right kind of riding, conditioning your body to be on the bike, rather than working on any specific kind of "fitness".
    Don't worry about people passing you, those people have been riding for decades or are much younger or are natural-borne athletes.
    Make sure that your bike fits well. Keep doing regular rides, extending the distance. Look at your riding style: many people push big gears too slowly whereas experienced riders spin lower gears more rapidly (higher cadence).
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    First of all, do not worry about speed! You will get quicker as you get fitter, it just happens, so don't worry about speed.

Get out and ride, as often as you can. For a 65 mile ride you will need to be fairly comfortable on a 50 mile training run. So build up to that, week by week, increasing your distance by a few miles each week. 10% is a good figure to increase by, but don't take that as gospel.

You will need to eat and drink on the ride so use your training rides to see what you like and what works for you. We are all different, so you need to experiment. Think about pre-ride food as well as food on the ride. Drinks can be just water, squash or an energy drink. I would think that any of them would be OK.

Last of all, enjoy your riding. With a couple of months training a 65 mile ride should be quite do-able so aim to enjoy it and hope you get some sunshine.
  • Thanks for your quick replies, at least I seem to be on the right tracki I shall continue building the distances at the weekend.

Oh and yes Bob I am praying for good weather

Cheers
  • The bike I'm riding is a Fuji Nevada MTB, I have swapped the tyres for a road tyre and changed the pedals, any ways to "hydridise" the bike. Unfortunatly money and holidays dictate and wife dictate no new road bike til next year
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    One bit of advice I can offer which made a massive difference for me was using a turbo trainer and doing the following

30 mins - high spin, low resistance (100 - 110 cadence)
    30 mins - low spin, high resistance (50 - 60 cadence)
    30 mins - sensible cadence, normal resistance (80 - 90 cadence)

This really helped me get into cycle fit quicker.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Fuji Nevada is an OK bike, esp with road tyres but it has flat bars which can put a kink in your wrist. If you are in the saddle for many hours, this can affect your shoulders or elbows. If this becomes an issue, fit some bar ends or clip on aerobars or switch to trekking style butterfly bars for alternate hand holds.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    where is your ride fella??

doing similar myself trying to get fit for the Mcr 100k

but about a week or so behind you if im honest..
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • kojomojo
    kojomojo Posts: 12
    Yeah I'm doing the same, i'm also about a week behind, I think most of us are doing the same bike ride
    Manchester 100km?
  • Thanks for evryones replies.

I'm doing a London to Canterbury 65 or 80 mile ride

Moving upto 30miles / 50km this weekend.