Cruddy Gisburn Ride - Fri 27th July

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited July 2012 in MTB rides
As part of the cruddy weekender (see seperate thread), a few of us are stopping off at Gisburn on our way up to Glentress on the Friday.

If anyone would like to join us, we should be there around 11-12 ish, and are looking to shoot off around 3.

So far, its Me, Richie63, Kickingmule and Pilch.

The more the merrier.

Comments

• take care in when you get to Hully Gully, the end of the trail is washed out, keep to the right hand side and all will be good (unless its been repaired by then)
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    hully gully was still a mess on sunday when we were up there,

be sure to throw a lap or 2 of the hope line in, it's pretty cool. apart from the middle section which was like a river...
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Still another week for it to dry out *crosses fingers* Is it better signposted now? Last time I went, I parked in the pub car park, and didn't even know which way to go. Luckily some other cyclists pointed me in the right direction, then I just followed the trail, no idea if I missed bits though.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Still another week for it to dry out *crosses fingers* Is it better signposted now? Last time I went, I parked in the pub car park, and didn't even know which way to go. Luckily some other cyclists pointed me in the right direction, then I just followed the trail, no idea if I missed bits though.

Its still easy to miss some of the waymarkers if your going fast. I have ridden there quite a few times and I went sailing past a couple of the entries to sections when I was up there last weekend.

The whole place has taken a battering from the weather so I wouldnt be surprised if some sections are closed for much needed maintenance soon. A few of the deeper puddles will soon have names and be on the Ordnance Survey maps :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Hmmmm, you reckon it'd be worth considering a change of venue?

I'm not fussed if it's not the usual ironing-board flat trail centre surface, but if it's all horribly rutted and washed out, with big sections closed for repair, might be better giving it a miss and trying someone else nearby.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Hmmmm, you reckon it'd be worth considering a change of venue?

I'm not fussed if it's not the usual ironing-board flat trail centre surface, but if it's all horribly rutted and washed out, with big sections closed for repair, might be better giving it a miss and trying someone else nearby.

No you will be fine I would say 80% is perfect. Its just some sections have been battered but most of it is well armoured. Some sections the underlying rocks have come through the top and made it a bit bumpy but nothing is unrideable.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap