Bottles jumping out of cages

macleod113
macleod113 Posts: 560
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I just wanted to get others opinions on what bottle cages keep the water holder secure? i lost my bottle today after hitting a small pothole and had to climb back up the hill to recover it after it had been run over by a lorry.
surprisingly the bottle was fine and a trip to the local newsagent to refill it was completed and then i continued to work.

i bought a couple of plastic cheap decathlon ones recently and i'm now going to get rid so wanted suggestions to replace them.

thanks all
Cube Cross 2016
Willier GTR 2014

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    bag with bladder is the best option

or cheap bottle cages you can bend to hold hold the bottle snugly

plastic 1's with rubber band bits snap and break, never used a triangle shaped cage / bottle but if they were that good every 1 would use them

and a bike without cages looks cleaner
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    I haven't ever had this problem (except for when I have used ordinary drinks bottles) and I've never heard of anybody else having it either. What cage is it? Is it mounted on the downtube? The average cage should do the job just fine with average cycling bottles.

If for whatever reason it continues to be a problem, you could try something like a Bontrager Tri-Cage which is claimed to be designed to prevent ejection, being intended for behind-the-saddle mounting. But it sounds to me like you have a bad cage or a bad bottle.

I also can't recommend that you use a bag with a bladder (Camelbak etc), or indeed a backpack at all; it will give you a sweaty back, reduce your ability to use your rear pockets and can compromise your rear visibility. There are much better ways of carrying water and luggage on a bike.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Don't use a bag with a bladder.

Just buy some metal cages that can be bent to make them fit tighter -> the pros tend to ditch the carbon cages and go with metal for the cobbled classics for this reason.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Get a bigger bottle? My cage fits 600ml bottles and I've never had a problem with it falling out :)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    elite custom race cages...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-custom-ra ... cage-2012/

...good price, good cage, loads of teams use them
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    sungod wrote:

+1 > as seen in my avatar, they hold 800ml SiS bottles perfectly
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I've got a couple of (Chinese) carbon cages that curve over at the top. This, combined with a bit of flex keeps 'em tightly in their place.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    mattcroad wrote:
    sungod wrote:

+1 > as seen in my avatar, they hold 800ml SiS bottles perfectly

+2 I come off the bike more than my bottles.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Plastic bottle cages always seem to be a disaster... I had some and the bottles always used to flick out. Try to get some alu or carbon ones...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Plastic bottle cages always seem to be a disaster... I had some and the bottles always used to flick out. Try to get some alu or carbon ones...

Funny old world. I've used all sorts of cages, and the very best are plastic Bontrager Race Lites! A doddle to slide bottles in (unlike some cages), totally reliable (never had a bottle bounce out in years of usage on crappy potholed roads), weigh virtually nothing, and dirt cheap (£7). Even look fine.
    Race Lite: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... e-ec008116

EDIT: only problem, seems they've been replaced by another model (Bontrager RL @ £9), so no black ones left anywhere that I can see :(

Not tried the new RL yet, but hopefully it'll be just as good as the Race Lite it seems to have replaced.
    New RL: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... e-ec036157
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    TACX Tao are popular on Paris roubaix- draw your own conclusions from that.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tacx Tao or Specialized Ribcage are both very secure IME - ridden hundreds of miles CX / offroad / pave and never lost a bottle.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dazzlers82
    dazzlers82 Posts: 50
    I use the elite ones above an have had no problems I use them with camelbak bottles an they seem tight
    Scott speedster 20 compact 2013
    Claud butler san remo 2012
  • nathb84
    nathb84 Posts: 27
    elite bottle cage with elite bottle, solid as a rock.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Don't use a bag with a bladder.

Just buy some metal cages that can be bent to make them fit tighter -> the pros tend to ditch the carbon cages and go with metal for the cobbled classics for this reason.

+1
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    I've got a cheap plastic cage, and it's been perfect - it weighs next to nothing and has held the bottles in perfect!

I'm currently using a 1L bottle from Rose Bikes, but I've used various other bottles, the only one that ever popped out was a small lucazade sport bottle I got from the shop when I forgot my bottle on a ride, but it was far too small and was just bouncing around in the cage!
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Use a good alu cage and bend it to secure bottle properly
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    These, they are robust, hold the bottle well and look good too.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-ciussi-ge ... ampaign=uk
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Well, thanks for all the replies. i went to Decathlon last night with my old plastic cages and they immediately said would i like to swap them for something else. excellent,

i bought 2 of the Elite plastic cages and a new Elite bottle.

very very snug fit and no problems with bouncing out or getting the bottle at all.

i'm a very happy bunny. thanks all
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    I use a Specialized Rib Cage on the downtube, Grips the bottle very well.
    I also took a chance on a Clarks Polycarbonate cage from CRC for £4, for the Seat tube. Again it seems to work very well, and certainly not complaining for the price!
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB