Record breaking ankle break - strava

andy_cotts
andy_cotts Posts: 7
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
So I'm sitting in hospital after having a big off yesterday dislocating and breaking my ankle in three places... As you do!

Check out my strava app and it turns out in my ride to the hospital in the back of the thambulance I broke three KOM records with an average speed of 37 mph!

Naturally I have deleted the ride from the feed but can't help but feel a bit gutted as I also got a personal best on another segment before I swerved to avoid running over a dog.

I'm not sure wether its the morphine talking but I reckon it was sabotage!
MTB - Cube analog Disc (2012)

Commuter - Carrera Subway 2 (2010)

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Good luck with the law suit. Strava have a lot to answer for!

More seriously, hope the ankle isn't too painful and it's not too long till you can ride again.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Ouch, get well soon.

Find out who does the segment that you were on. Had you recently knocked them off the top spot? Do they own a dog? :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Ouch, get well soon. You know you can crop rides so you *could* edit out the ambulance trip, if you felt the need.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Yes, you could have just cropped the ambulance bit. If you email them you might be able to recover the deleted ride.

I also came a cropper the other week when a pedestrian stepped out in front of me just after a segment which I KOM'd. Had I not actually been looking where I was going, maybe I could have blamed Strava (as it was, the pedestrian was clearly at fault and fortunately coughed up for my new bars, tape and trueing front wheel).

Lesson was learnt though - its never worth putting yourself or others at risk to get a fast time. The great thing with Strava is there's always another day!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Yes, you could have just cropped the ambulance bit. If you email them you might be able to recover the deleted ride.

I also came a cropper the other week when a pedestrian stepped out in front of me just after a segment which I KOM'd. Had I not actually been looking where I was going, maybe I could have blamed Strava (as it was, the pedestrian was clearly at fault and fortunately coughed up for my new bars, tape and trueing front wheel).

Lesson was learnt though - its never worth putting yourself or others at risk to get a fast time. The great thing with Strava is there's always another day!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    edited July 2012
    ouch! Sorry to hear about your injury AC, hope the recovery is swift.

I watch a few of the Stravaphiles on the shared cyclepath that I use; I am a bit anti it's usage on shared cyclpaths as there are allot of peds, kids and dogs about - allot of blind entrances onto the cyclepath too. There is a time and a place for Strava and it is not where someone could get very seriously hurt.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    Ouch. I know exactly the feeling.
    You'll be back on your bike by next spring though.
    Listen to the physios!
    Don't worry about your withered calf. Muscle memory us an amazing thing.
  • Cheers for you well wishes guys, the segement I beat was on road... The 'incident' occurred about half a mile from my house on a blind corner towpath and i was winding down my ride doing about 8-10mph, can't believe the damage I've done at such a relatively low speed, just one of those things I guess!

Still hasn't dampened my enthusiasm though, will be riding again soon!
    MTB - Cube analog Disc (2012)

Commuter - Carrera Subway 2 (2010)
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    andy_cotts wrote:
    Still hasn't dampened my enthusiasm though, will be riding again soon!

Good to hear it. Hope you make a fast recovery and the bike wasn't too badly damaged.

I got a couple of KOMs courtesy of an ambulance ride last week too. Fortunately they were taking me and my bike on to my place of work rather than to hospital (working for the ambulance service does have some perks) :) Unfortunately bike not as lucky as me :(

I deleted the Strava ride too, didn't realise you could crop rides. I wasn't going fast so there is no point trying to get it restored, but useful knowledge for the future.